Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Surfacing?

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
Hello all. I am wondering if OnShape plans to add artistic surfacing, like what Fusion360 has. I know there is the app "Power surfacing" for Onshape, but it is getting fairly clunky (and expensive) for my company to have so many apps to fill in Onshape's gaps. We have an app for FEA/simulation, a desktop program for rendering and mechanism simulation, and now another app just to do organic surfacing. 

Thanks, 

-Dan

Answers

• colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @dan_engerer
    We can safely assume onshape will have surfacing features someday.  Until then the apps are what we have to fill the gaps in missing functionality.  
    An app today is better than nothing. 

• dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
    And even better than a buggy and expensive app is a program that does it all for much cheaper ie. Fusion360, which is looking all the more tempting every day. I'm tired of all this "one day, Onshape will be there. Until then, um... who knows?" 
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Go try Fusion for 30 days and I bet you are back to onshape with a fresh new outlook on onshape.  

Be sure and install a seatbelt on your desk chair when you use fusion because you are in for multiple crashes!  
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited March 2017
    What surfacing features are you looking for @dan_engerer ? All geometry generation features (extrude, loft, sweep, etc) can also be used to create surfaces. These tools are quite powerful and can still deliver a lot of functionality. As @coleman mentioned, we are certainly working on more surfacing features!

Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.