Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I synchronize the onshape model with the render app? (with hack solution)

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
edited March 2017 in App Store & Partners Apps
I'm trying out two of the rendering apps, One Render and clara.io. (Clara.io is working better for me at the moment.)

I'm not seeing how to synchronize the onshape model with the render project... So when I change my assembly, I don't have to spend hours re-setting up materials, views, etc.

Anyone know how I can do this?
Tagged:

Comments

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited March 2017
    OK, I figured out a hack for clara.io but given the circumstances I must be missing something obvious.

The hack is as follows:
    1. In the clara.io project, click on the gray jobs counter at the bottom of the window to pull up the jobs list. The onshape import will be listed with a message "(click to download)". Do so!
    2. Rename the file, adding the extension ".onshapeassembly"
    3. Edit the file in a text editor. You need to change the microversion of the parts from the previous one to the current one. Use the REST api to get it:
    4. In clara.io, file->import and drag in the edited .onshapeassembly file.
    Clara.io will use the data in the .onshapeassembly file to get the updated model from onshape.

Hopefully I failed to understand some instructions written somewhere and this is a completely unnecessary hack.

If not, I am eternally grateful for the clara.io programmer who wrote the onshape importer in a robust way. Beer is on me next time you are in New Zealand.

• joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Traveler I "expect" you will not have to go through any work arounds in the future. The infrastructure is there, in order for a rendering application to intelligently update their geometry via our API.  Just a matter of getting it done. 
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.