Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

A question about possibly un-fixing entities.

asterios_anagnostouasterios_anagnostou Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Hello! Firstly I'd like to say that Onshape is awesome and your tutorials have certainly helped me get started! I began building a part yesterday and just ran into a problem. Along the way I noticed that some of my lines/circles/radii were blue and some were black, but I didn't think anything of it and I didn't know how or whether or not I was causing it. Now, I'm much further into my drawing and I've run into some problems because some of the things I'd like to move, I discovered, are immovable. Now, I know this is absurd, but by way of some erratic firing of formerly unused synapses in my brain, I thought or hoped that the "fix" would fix inconsistencies or errors in the drawing. So, I selected the whole drawing and "fixed" it, lol. I was having problems even before I did this because half was fixed and half wasn't, so even if I go back a few moves in my history, it won't really help me. Is there any way to un-fix my sketch? I'm still trying to get all the entities where I want them to be and to size them properly. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Asterios - hello!
    This is a very general question and without a link to a document for the forum members to look at, it will be hard to answer your question.
    For an introduction to sketching (and contraints), have you watched the 'intro to sketching' lesson here?

https://www.onshape.com/learn/learn-cad

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hello!

If you want to delete the 'fix' constraints in your sketch, do the following.

First, make sure you are editing the sketch (right click your sketch feature and click 'Edit...')

Next, check the box that says "Show constraints"

Once you do that all the sketch constraints will appear on your sketch

look for the ones with the 'fix' symbol:

You can then right click on these and press "Delete sketch entity" in the context menu, or as a shortcut you can left click the constrain and then press 'Delete' or 'Backspace' on your keyboard (Mac or Windows respectively).

Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • asterios_anagnostouasterios_anagnostou Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Thanks for both of your posts! I realized shortly after asking this question that defining a dimension also fixes the entity. Gosh this is fun. I learned so much in the last few days it's incredible! I learned two days ago that you can click on a surface and start a sketch there. Super simple, but inexplicably it escaped my notice for about a week lol. Thanks for your answers again and sorry for the late response!