Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mouse rotate view moved from the middle mouse button! WHY?????

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosminCosmin Member Posts: 1
    I personally like it this way, and although threads like this are naturally biased, I guess an option for this basic feature would be a good idea.
  • Options
    alin_1alin_1 Member Posts: 8
    Would be nice to be able to customize the action of the mouse buttons. Maybe have a SW-like preset.
  • Options
    franky_the_pierrefranky_the_pierre Member Posts: 6
    Yes, each user should be able to customize the buttons as they wish.  Maybe a mouse preference in the settings would be very nice.
  • Options
    patrick_donaghypatrick_donaghy Member Posts: 1
    I use Solidworks every day for work so I will never be able to get my muscle memory converted to OS navigation.  Makes the program pretty unusable for me.  
  • Options
    mark_dzidowskimark_dzidowski Member Posts: 1
    I have come here to complain about the RMB rotating the view. :smiley:  Please assign to middle mouse button or allow for this to be user defined.
  • Options
    eric_williseric_willis Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    By far, this is the one goofed up feature that is keeping me from migrating my whole company over from SolidWorks.  Fix this one (i.e. at least give the option to assign mouse buttons) and I'll move every company I am involved with over to Onshape.  Make the middle mouse button be used for 3D view rotate!  It's a standard 3D modeling assignment.  Until then, Onshape will be just a novelty.  
  • Options
    ryan_lindsleyryan_lindsley Member Posts: 1
    Came here to say the same thing....threw me way off coming from Solidworks
  • Options
    jonathan_adamsjonathan_adams Member Posts: 2
    I would definitely prefer the middle mouse button orbit control. The problem for me isn't so much getting used to the RMB as orbit, it's the fact that there are two functions currently for RMB. A quick click is a menu, and hold click for orbit. The problem is that if you want to orbit quickly, you get the menu...which makes me want to tear out my eye balls.
  • Options
    ivan_tzvetanovivan_tzvetanov Member Posts: 1
    Just want to add my vote to the chorus. Pleeeeeease give us the options to rotate view with the mouse wheel and to change the direction of zoom with the wheel. I've become the Onshape evangelist among my friends who use Solidworks daily and these two simple things are what's holding back everyone from using Onshape.
  • Options
    trev_friesentrev_friesen Member Posts: 1
    Mouse buttons should be "WHATEVER" you want them to be . I use SW and likely will . Creatures of habit ,old dog new tricks ....no. Mouse button wheel 
    that works the same as platform you are to compete with PRICELESS.
  • Options
    nahnah Member Posts: 1
    Allowing the user to configure mouse button control is huge. Lots of people use a gaming mouse or other "pro" mouse with additional buttons that can be reconfigured to for different functions. I have the thumb button on my Performance MX mouse set to <middle button> so that I can rotate in Solidworks and CreoDirect, I can zoom and rotate and pan at the same time. I have other buttons configured for <esc> and <del>.
    Physical movements become integrated at a very low level, a change in the user interaction increases the cognitive load on performing an operation. So not only does it take longer to make the software do what you want, but it takes longer to think about what you want to achieve with the software. Being unable to customize a basic user interaction (mouse buttons) in a software that someone uses 8-12 hours a day is incredibly frustrating. It can come across as arrogant and unsympathetic to the user.
    If the purpose of this software is to provide an alternative to the existing CAD products and as a product that would run in parallel with existing CAD products, you should be able to emulate the mouse behavior to reduce the cognitive load when switching back and forth. If I need to switch back and forth between software, I can't be unproductive for 10-20 minutes while my brain adjusts.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I think now OS has solution for users coming from other CAD system.Now OS has option to change Rotate/Pan/Zoom options as other CAD like Solid works,NX,Creo and AutoCAD.
    You can check this Manage account>Preferences and you can find the option in view manipulator.

I love this option...
    1.PNG 26.2K
    2.PNG 28.3K