Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 4th, 2017

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited May 2017 in New in Onshape
We continue with our efforts to bring you update after update filled with highly-requested features.  Here is our latest additions to start May.  Hope you enjoy!

COMPOSITE CURVE

Creates a single curve comprised of sketch geometry, edges, curves, or any combination of these.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6b7xpznuan?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

3D FIT SPLINE

Creates a 3D Spline through selected points.  Start and End direction vectors and magnitude allow you to control the spline's shape.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8zltbq2urb?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SHEET METAL FILLET AND CHAMFER

You can now fillet and chamfer the corners of sheet metal parts.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hn1aup99jy?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

EXPORT DXF/DWG FROM FLAT VIEW

You can now export a DXF/DWG directly from a Flat View in Onshape.  You no longer need to create a drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/adgiaxb4a5?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

"LIST" TYPE PROPERTIES

Company owners and admins can now create properties that allow the user to choose from a list.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/e5i0dvgc55?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

INSERT DXF/DWG IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now insert a DXF or DWG into an Onshape Drawing.  This is useful if you have a DXF or DWG template from a past CAD system and want to use it in Onshape to create a template.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/y1pljxlmld?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

COMPOSITE GEOMETRIC TOLERANCE

You can now create composite geometric tolerances.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/q4fm0duyhl?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

MOVE DRAWING VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

Now when you move a drawing view with linked views, annotations on those linked views move as well.

DERIVED FEATURE IMPROVEMENTS

You can now insert any curve with the Derived feature.  In the past this was limited to helices.

DOCUMENTS PAGE IMPROVEMENTS

Small improvements have been made to the Documents page, including a new Create button and the ability to collapse and expand teams, and labels.

IMPORT IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to importing geometry into Onshape.  Most notably Onshape should be better with healing imported geometry with problem surfaces.  Also added is the ability to import PTC Creo 4 files and CATIA V5-6R2017(R27).

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    The force is with you..

Many good improvements here.

Thank you especially for fillets in sheet-metal !
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Very nice, thanks folks :)

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lester_mlester_m Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Excellent work "Team Onshape". Great to get the fillets sorted for sheet metal and the drawing improvements will help too!
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Great updates!  Thank you!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Nice range of new features, awesome!

Onshape has grown into state that requests/updates become more and more for specific use.

There is still at least one big feature I've been waiting for that would probably serve the whole community.
    I've been mentioning it so many times that I'll just leave it up to imagination to guess what feature I'm talking about ;)
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, I totally ran through the office and cheered for sheet-metal fillet. But now I wonder how long until they include the rest of the tools for sheet-metal. Extrude add, Pattern, hole, etc.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad, sounds like conflagrations?
  • wgdesignwgdesign Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Composite Spline and the rest of that dropdown menu doesnt appear in my menu bar for some reason.
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    warwick_1 said:
    Composite Spline and the rest of that dropdown menu doesnt appear in my menu bar for some reason.
    @warwick_1
    Upgrades take a few days on existing Documents.  You should see it now in new Documents and soon in older Documents.
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Nice update. The composite curve will let us do basic surface modeling. Well done.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Keep your hair on Rami - we're working on it! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great list of updates, I just had fun adding radius's to a host of sheet metal parts, I am glad I didn't have to use an extrude cut. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    I agree 100% with @brucebartlett!  So glad to see the radius & chamfer corner feature.  I was intentionally not treating the corners and hoping Onshape would roll out this feature soon :)
  • timofey_ilintimofey_ilin Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for all the hard work put into making this software as fantastic as it is! 
  • bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Great improvements! The system is making great strides...can we please prioritize welding symbols though!
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Great list of updates. Now Onshape becoming more powerful CAD designing tool.
    edited May 2017
    @bert_fourie, I hear you there on the weld symbols! I bet when Onshape brings them out, they will be great. I would also like to be able to export only 1 page of a multi page drawing. 
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @jackson_king - Please make sure that you submit that enhancement request through the (pro only) feedback tool. That is how we know what to work on next - posting here is fine, but is not what we tally up.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited May 2017
    @philip_thomas, I had previously submitted a request (Request #49914), it has just been a couple months since then and thought I would try to drag it back up to the top;)

It's good to know you guys are watching the forums!
    @jackson_king - we all read them. There is very little we dont see and we talk to customers all day getting feedback. 
    Like all companies we are resource constrained so we need to very smart about how we spend them. The feedback tool helps us prioritize - we never 'forget' anything, it just gets pushed further down sometimes. These forums are incredibly helpful - please feel free to discuss anything that you think would be helpful. The "best" thing for us is when there user consensus on that "one small thing" that helps the most people get their job done better. 
    Tell us how to do things 'better' than anyone has done before! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape