Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why do you guys think this would happen to my 3d print?

asterios_anagnostouasterios_anagnostou Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Hey guys, I'm a little new to this and my documents are still coming out a little weird when I 3d print them. I'll attach a couple pics here so you can see whats happening. I am printing with a DaVinci 1.0A, stock. Thanks for any help you guys can render! https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3de4aff6ac3721cf0b82c0d8/w/eee0d6d23d87ae2d3ec45dd4/e/bc8e7155baf677cb2b348715
-Asterios

Best Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi.  Looking at a cross-section of your part you've got some voids, almost a box withing a box.   Is that deliberate?  There are some pretty thin walls...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

Answers

• Options
    yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I do not know the shape of the overall model, but I think that you have not placed the model in a stable position. The formation of a plane not touching the floor is called a bridge, which is to temporarily form a column(maybe 2mm DIA)  under the bridge or form a supporter provided by the program(such as Meshmixer).  Regards, Yong Kim
  • Options
    yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    The meshmixer will automatically generate support as shown in the following figure. A tree-like branch is automatically generated support. Yong-Kim#

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi.  Looking at a cross-section of your part you've got some voids, almost a box withing a box.   Is that deliberate?  There are some pretty thin walls...

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    prajnay_rajulu_boddepalliprajnay_rajulu_boddepalli Member Posts: 2
    Dude you dont know how to build Printing stuff it as to be build with support structures would have solved
  • Options
    prajnay_rajulu_boddepalliprajnay_rajulu_boddepalli Member Posts: 2
    Dude you dont know how to build Printing stuff it as to be build with support structures would have solved

Realiz3D.in
  • Options
    brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    @asterios_anagnosto It seems to me that you would be better asking this question on a forum dedicated either to your 3D printer or the slicing software you are using. My workflow when I model for 3D printing is to use Onshape to model /exactly/ what the finished product should be, export an STL file and then use my slicing software (Simplify3D) to deal with producing a gcode file (which I might subsequently hand modify), complete with supports and infill, for your printer. Horses for courses.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Owen S.
    Thanks for your responses everyone. Hey Owen, no they weren't deliberate. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make this basic shape. I want the walls to be about .025 (I know this is thin, but it's not load bearing or anything... Do you think it's still too thin? I'm still learning so I'm open to advice!) or so, but I think I'm messing it up with the shells. I altered it a little bit this morning if you want to take a look. Thanks so much for taking the time. My first time touching CAD was a week or two ago so I'm trying my best to take in as much info as possible. I made the initial extrude to make the first cavity, then I drew a line dividing the boom of the cavity so that I could extrude one side further down to fit the shape of the thing I'm installing it in. Even this morning I was having a little trouble lining up the walls perfectly. Also, the surfaces where the two center bolt holes are are a little problematic for me. I can't seem to figure out how to align the inner extruded surface with that surface. Although I noticed that part of the inner one intersects with that bolt one. The printer is OK, but my drawing is a bit messed up. How do you intersect to surfaces to make them one? I know I just asked a books worth of questions! Thanks again for your help! 
    -Asterios 

P.S. How did you cross section the part??? 

P.S.S I just accidentally broke one of the walls on the side. You're definitely on to something with the walls being too thin! Lol!
  • Options
    scott_lakescott_lake Member Posts: 5
    To me, it looks like the 3D printer isn't heating the filament well enough to melt onto previous layers, regardless of supports being generated or not.  Do you have similar issues with other shapes?
  • Options
    Hi, sorry got caught up last night.  Your link is view only.  Any chance you can share it with me or make it copyable?

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Sure thing and no problem! Errrr how do I share it with you specifically? I tried to share it with you using "Owen_sparks", but it wouldn't let me send it.
  • Options
    Hi.  I've sent a private message with my email address, I believe that should help.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Got it and sent! Thank you! 
  • Options
    OK, have the doc, and a nice email notification from OS that you'd done it, great system.

To stop me messing up any of your work I'll make a revision and then a branch off it, and I'll only work in that branch.  Do you want the same shape but just  without internal cavities?  What's critical here?

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Cool yeah that sounds awesome! Just the shape and dimensions are critical. I agree with you that the shell walls should be thicker though. Maybe .050? Is that good enough? 
  • Options
    Sounds good, but in CAD speak "just the shape and the dimensions" is everything there is.  To make one bit thicker we need to make something else thinner.  Which are the parts of the shape we have to keep exactly as they are and what can we change?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Gotcha, that makes sense! Lol, Ok let see. I want to keep the inner shell the same width, depth, and length. The outer walls I think should stay within .100 of that. Um let's see. The box within the box can be removed. The tapered surface should stay the same. The offset mounting holes can* be adjusted for strengthening. The four extruded circles at either end were going to be used for support when I insert it into the material (foam), but I wanted those to be holes. I didn't know how to accomplish that. I'm not sure how they were different than the other two holes. I hope this helps. Thanks again for your time, Owen. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll send you my email address so you could contact me directly. 

Addition: the ledge just below the surface is supposed to support the cover so that should stay. I have trouble printing that part because of sagging, but I can just cut out the excess material.