Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Insert image

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
How can you insert an image such as a company logo onto an extruded face or a surface?

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sort of. You an insert an image into a sketch. This more or less is the same as inserting an image onto any flat face.
  • scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    That doesn't  do any good if you need it on the face of an extrusion or surface which pretty much is where it is always going to be needed right?  
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @scott_caskey sketch image is not meant to be a replacement for decals, it has its own uses and benefits (such using an image as a starting sketch and tracing it to create 3d geometry).  If you would like to see decal-type images please vote on:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/24934
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until decals become a thing, you can start a sketch on any flat surface and insert an image into that sketch. Downside is the sketch image always has a border of sketch lines. Here's an example. The text "Company Logo" is actually a picture.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Also don't spin the block around and look at it from the back...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Even though sketch images are not perfect for decals they can serve many image needs. They scale, can be dimensioned (using nodes), they can be easily swithed on/off etc..

My favorite with sketch images was creating a 3D model on top of aerial picture and see my factory in it's real surroundings. That really gave life to 3D model and makes it easy to plan additional buildings.

I used this same approach when designed my house in the middle of the forest, Onshape was my no.1 tool in that project too.

//rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    That's awesome @3dcad

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Thanks @john_mcclary
    //rami