Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BOM struggles.

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
Man..... seems like all the stuff you would think would be easy is a major struggle with this software.  
I create components in parts studio that is of course ultimately made up of a bunch of different parts with extrudes and what not.    So even though it is a drawing of only one real-life part, it is a bunch of parts to Onshape.   When I go to create a BOM, it gives me 100 parts for my assembly that has about 10 parts in it.  There's no group command in the partsstudio and I have grouped them in the assembly but the BOM doesn't abide by that grouping.  You can't just delete everything in the BOM because it won't let you.   So how are  you supposed to get a usable BOM if it makes an entry for each "part" as defined by Onshape?  

Answers

• Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @scott_caskey

Hi Scott, sorry about the problem you have. I will try to help you. 

openBOM can group parts by names. This is useful when you create BOM for design which is using Parts created in Part studio using copy / paste and/or transformation. Essentially, these are different parts in Onshape, but you want to make quantity count based on name (and not internal Onshape id). 

Please let me know if it solves the problem. You can contact me at oleg @ openbom dot com. You can also use feedback button in openBOM or send an email to support @ openbom dot com. 

Best, Oleg 

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the number of parts is suddenly bigger than was in your design intent then the problem may be that some of your features are working with "new part" option and part pattern instead of boolean options and feature/face pattern