Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to change a sketch offset?

josh_levine445josh_levine445 Member Posts: 7
Here the inner pac man is created by offseting the outer one...

...and then that inner pac man is extruded to make a solid...

How can I go back and change the amount of the original offset so that the solid extruded from it adjusts?

(This is a test case, in my actual problem the shape that was offset is very complicated and there is lots and lots of stuff built on top of that extrusion). 

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2017
    Find the sketch in the tree and edit it,

Another tip, if you click "final "while editing you will get the finished part studio to show

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I guess I do not understand how offset works in onshape. Is that dimension special, or is is just a normal dimension that fixes the distance between the two referenced entities and the offset constraints drive the behavior? What does the offset constraint mean? It seams to relate two sets of entities to each other, but I can't figure out exactly what the semantics are. Is there any documentation for it? It does not even seem to be listed on the "Working with Constraints" page. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    @josh_levine445

I made a short video hopefully it answers your questions about offset.
    https://youtu.be/p2eo610PNdw

I forgot to mention in the video, The reason it won't appear on the "Working with Constraints" page is because, it is not a standard mate (coincident, tangent, ect.) The only way to add an offset is to use the offset command and select all of the entities you need. It is done in this way so many entities can all share the same offset dimension. Rather than individually selecting 2 objects and offsetting them, then adding a 3rd reference to make them equal.

Here is where the documentation is found
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#sketch-tools-offset.htm?Highlight=offset

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Really? A down vote? Did I offend someone? Sorry if I did.
  • Options
    Wasn't me! :)

Thanks for the video. I'd still love to better understand the semantics of the offset constraint between entities. Does it map endpoints to be coincident to a line that passes though the original two endpoints or something like that? 

Thanks!

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Sketch offset works by projecting entities normal to their seed(s), not a 'copy and transform ' in a certain direction. Each offset entity doesn't know about another entity until you add it to the selection of the offset.

Line: Self explanatory

Arc: The arc length is increased because you are offsetting the radius of the arc. The angle that the arc travels stays the same. Remember back to Θ=s/r from geometry class

Circle: Self explanatory

Hexagon: As I add input lines, the latest offset line has a longer length than its other entities, because that latest line has no idea about the next entity in the hexagon. As I complete my selection, the offset closes the shape because of the known coincident constraints on the seed entity.

Spline: The spline succeeds in one direction, but not the other. This is because the curvature is too sharp at the point I pointed out for our sketcher to see it as a valid spline (for now).

Feel free to check out out our Video Library and our new Learning Center!

Hope this helps.

Jason
    Support & QA