Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Helical tunnel borer

paul_brittonpaul_britton Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Community Support
Hi,

I have been trying to model the drilling auger on this tunnelling machine...

Ignoring the propeller bit at the tip for now...

The central core is an ogive curve (like a rocket nosecone), I think. I can construct that fine...

I can get the helical path around it, but I can't get the cutter edge to sweep correctly. The swept shape seems to 'revolve' as it sweeps..

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bfcab79745e70a807cb87497/w/181434d7c1ba5e4cda7ffba1/e/e5bc6e8a6dffd92eabc29438

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    mahir said:
    @paul_britton , that's funny. Reading your question, I was about to suggest my Sweep Normal FS, but you beat me to it :) Glad it worked for you. I should probably make it a real FS document instead of burying it in my sandbox.
    It is just the job.... if it could be incorporated as an option into the normal Sweep function, it would be great... Onshape, are you listening? :-)

• Options
    Answer ✓
    @paul_britton
    We are always listening  :)  Over time, as priorities allow, we will incorporate more options into our sweep.  Out of curiosity, though, now that you know it exists, what is the downside of using the custom feature?
    I already have about 10 custom features added, and the dropdown is now too long! (although some ie '3Dspline' are probably now redundant as you've added '3D fit spline' into the main feature set.)

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381

Hello Paul!

Not obvious until you have seen one.
    This is a constant-pitch/variable-diameter sweep.
    "Bone Screws' (orthopedic surgical device) are very similar. Here is an example.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d3d8ded2a3002695f2f92b3b/w/63b87a811a1f307b9cd4c36b/e/72177004b5befa06cb7cd722

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Philip, I had already seen that, but neither the valley to remove, or the spine to add are circular in my scenario.....

I have just found a featurescript feature called Sweep Normal that appears to keep the spine profile in the correct orientation during the sweep, ie it's plane normal to the surface of the core profile.. If only OS had this as a tick option in the standard sweep as well as the 'Keep profile orientation'

Which gets me to something like this...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bfcab79745e70a807cb87497/w/181434d7c1ba5e4cda7ffba1/e/e5bc6e8a6dffd92eabc29438

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited June 2017
    Looks like you did it! :)
    FAB! ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paul_britton , that's funny. Reading your question, I was about to suggest my Sweep Normal FS, but you beat me to it :) Glad it worked for you. I should probably make it a real FS document instead of burying it in my sandbox.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    mahir said:
    It is just the job.... if it could be incorporated as an option into the normal Sweep function, it would be great... Onshape, are you listening? :-)

• Options
    Answer ✓
    @paul_britton
    We are always listening  :)  Over time, as priorities allow, we will incorporate more options into our sweep.  Out of curiosity, though, now that you know it exists, what is the downside of using the custom feature?
    I already have about 10 custom features added, and the dropdown is now too long! (although some ie '3Dspline' are probably now redundant as you've added '3D fit spline' into the main feature set.)
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Got it.  We are also working on toolbar management functionality to make this problem easier.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc