Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

HOW TO USE RIP TOOL

Hello to all,
I'm a teacher and I use Onshape in my classes.
We must shape the object of the figure. Can I use the RIP command to make the cylinder part reinforcements? And if so, how do I use the command?
Thanks for the attention.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Lamberto,

You can definitely make this geometry in Onshape.  You should look for the "Rib" feature rather than the "Rip" feature.  The "Rip" feature is for creating rips in sheet metal.

Here are some resources for you:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/rib.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-IKLWH6x0
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Hello Lamberto,
    You could also select the front plane and use the Project convert(with the construction line feature turned on) to grab the two lines you would need to build the geometry for the supports and extrude symetrically from there. then array the feature around the cylinder and after that combine using the boolean feature.
    Stay awesome!,
    Sincerely,
    Chris Winters 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Here is a view only link. This turned into a bit of fun trying to do the ribs. They go from a straight surface at the bottom into a radial surface at the top of the boss
     https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9f234338d696237a996a1627/w/7b32076b9c096d6676f0477d/e/e2c0fad664e55d1116904466
    I also added a second model using the rib featurescript
  • Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @lamberto_previati

Here you go  :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d5530b3c4f76baffcc9ddc5a/w/cf20fee629b0088d72a84953/e/51069fedb1ee09329d332e77

Best of luck!

I would stick to using the Rib feature provided by Onshape. The Onshape approved feature started as the custom feature, but now it has a place in our standard library. Stability, reliability, and performance improvements went in since the creation of the custom feature. 

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    paul_brittonpaul_britton Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Neither of these solutions produce exactly the original figure..

The rib FS solution (Jason_S post) produces a 'step' at the top of the rib feature

The solution in chris_winters404 post produces a flat interface with the circular boss....

Now either may be actually acceptable for an actual manufactured part, but the figure that was requested to be modelled shows something different...

This would have a rib with a rectangular face that is non-planar (which I thought Chris was alluding to when he wrote "They go from a straight surface at the bottom into a radial surface at the top of the boss", but his model than didn't show.

Here is my attempt.....

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7082e5f574b254885f1a9262/w/96dc5e459fd3570954b7e7b7/e/c65b55bf47a5e8f310c3b0a6

Which is created using a loft and yields the curved rib surface and interface with circular face

• Options
    I totally dig the loft style Paul! Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    lamberto_previatilamberto_previati Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Dear,
    I apologize for the delay, but here, in Italy, this period was committed to end-year trials and their assessments. So, I could not answer your suggestions. Many thanks, Jake_Rosenfeld, chris_winters404, Jason_S and paul_britton, for your time.
    In fact, the image I have posted contains a print error, and the detail, that is, the rib, should have the flat inclined surface. This error has already been reported to the publisher. The type of representation is deceptive and does not describe that detail well. This is purely a geometric and theoretical problem. In reality, a similar piece would have very different solutions at that point. I admit, however, that the LOFT solution is definitely interesting, and that, in reality, it could be practiced with a CN machine. My young students had to work hard to solve this scratch.
    Thanks again to everyone for your kindness and availability.
  • Options
    lamberto_previatilamberto_previati Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Dear,
    I apologize for the delay, but here, in Italy, this period was committed to end-year trials and their assessments. So, I could not answer your suggestions. Many thanks, Jake_Rosenfeld, chris_winters404, Jason_S and paul_britton, for your time.
    In fact, the image I have posted contains a print error, and the detail, that is, the rib, should have the flat inclined surface. This error has already been reported to the publisher. The type of representation is deceptive and does not describe that detail well. This is purely a geometric and theoretical problem. In reality, a similar piece would have very different solutions at that point. I admit, however, that the LOFT solution is definitely interesting, and that, in reality, it could be practiced with a CN machine. My young students had to work hard to solve this scratch.
    Thanks again to everyone for your kindness and availability.