Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I include a variable value in a sketch text?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
I have a spur gear generator. How can I label each gear with the number of teeth in the variable #Teeth?

Answers

• adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    +1 for this one.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • david_mellingdavid_melling Member Posts: 2 EDU
    +1. This would be very handy. In context design is great but at times I'd like to work with a list of variables which can be utilised throughout a whole document, giving one central place to make all variation changes.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    +1 This is something I use everyday in SW, and would love to see it in OS
  • valentin_bersiervalentin_bersier Member Posts: 2
    +1 This would come in very handy
  • hillcthillct Member Posts: 1
    +1 Of course I encountered this question specifically because I need to do this for a part today but as a matter of course, it would be valuable across the board. It would be useful to hear from an OnShape developer as to whether or not this has been added to the feature development list and what kind of ETA we might expect for this functionality.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @hillct The best way to make sure something is on our development list is to submit or vote on an improvement request; see 'improvement request' category of this forum from the right-side menu -->

We do not give an ETA for anything in development.

You can vote on this improvement request to help us prioritize this task:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3796/variable-values-displayed-in-text
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

What about the support tickets we sent?
    should we add all our support tickets (the ones that were marked as an improvement request) to the improvement request list?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hello @emagdalenaC2C !

Support tickets and improvement requests are actually treated the same way once they get to the developer, so if you make a support ticket that gets marked as an improvement request, you don't need to worry about posting in the forum. Generally I would say that you should use a support ticket if you have something that seems like a bug/problem with existing functionality, and use the 'Improvement Requests' section of the forum if you would like to request new functionality that does not already exist in Onshape.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    But if you priorizate the improvement request based on the number of votes of the users...
    The support ticket marked as an improvement request will only have "1 vote".

Should we add these existing support tickets (marked as an improvement request) to the list so users could vote for these and priorizate their development?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    I suspect that @lougallo or @abefeldman has a better answer about this than me.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @emagdalenaC2C you can continue using whichever system is to your preference. The support team manages the forums as well, so regardless of how your submit your improvement the same people will see it in either location, and we keep track of both votes and ticket submissions.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support