Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a slotted pipe

mark_ericsonmark_ericson Member Posts: 7
edited September 2017 in Community Support
I'm trying to model a pipe with slots at regular intervals around the pipe.   I've seen plenty of models (like a pipe flange) where there are holes distributed around a construction circle extruded normal to the construction circle.   But to create my slotted cylinder, I need my slots distributed around the construction circle but the extrusions parallel to the construction circle's plane.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Mark,

Circular pattern is definitely your way to go for this (and most other cases where you want geometry repeated around an axis).  In cases like this (patterning a simple pocket or protrusion) it's usually faster to use 'Face pattern' rather than 'Feature pattern'.

Were you trying to make something more like this? (If we're off the mark with what you're trying to make, maybe post a link to your document so we can see what you already have?)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/460b484a2ab33dd47f54b63d/w/358ba04794d76769b40eb576/e/f0ea95fb483b36757ef26698

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    mark_ericsonmark_ericson Member Posts: 7
    Ah yes, thanks for that!  something like a castle nut was exactly what I'm trying to achieve.