Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Topology Optimization

Hi all, I have been learning as much as I can about Onshape (previous SW user). So far it's been a wonderful experience. And recently I have started looking into Topology Optimization (or generative design) to research its benefits. For example, design a hole pattern, insert forces, and let the simulation create the geometry in between the fixed features. Being ingrained in the additive manufacturing world, we can very quickly utilize these organic optimized designs.

I have two questions: 
1) Is there a book or online course that is like an Introduction to Topology Optimization? 
2) Does Onshape have any of these capabilities, including in its app store? If not, is this something that is in development?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, thank you.

Answers

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Miles_2  I know there is one book available in market for Topology optimization known as
     "Topology Optimization: Theory, Methods, and Applications"  
     Authors: 
    Martin P. Bendsøe and Ole Sigmund

I am not much aware about this concept but I found this link which might be helpful to you.

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~vb904302/browne_phd.pdf
  • MilesIn3DMilesIn3D Member Posts: 6 PRO
    @shashank_aarya
    Thank you for the references. I'm going to watch the webinar as well on Friday for "Onshape + Swift Calcs". Maybe there is a way through Swift Calcs. 

• viktor_solenoidviktor_solenoid Member Posts: 12
    Hi @MilesIn3D,

Any updates on your research? I'm considering moving to blender, because there is a nice add on for topology optimization there - ToOptix. It would be more than great if we have it here though.

• kang_zhaokang_zhao Member Posts: 1
    There is an online topology optimization app, which allows importing CAD model from Onshape or upload CAD model locally. 

https://www.simright.com/apps/simright-toptimizer

As the integration with Onshape has started, I suppose it will show up on Onshape App Store soon.