Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface loft curvature tangency failing with guides

amCADamCAD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Hello. I was trying to follow the process shown in this tutorial for surface modelling.
The sketches in the video tutorial are fully defined. Mine are not, because I was merely testing the process.

https://youtu.be/a0kZGWsT6sY?t=14m28s

At the point of creating a surface loft for the half of the chair which will later have to be mirrored
- I set the end profile condition to Normal, the loft preview regularly appears
- I select guidelines (appositely created as splines with tangency to the X direction) and the loft fails

I can only use those guidelines if I don't set any condition to the loft's End profile, but then of course the part will not have continuous curvature after it gets mirrored.

One thing I noticed, my model has a similar issue to the one he fixes at 15:03 and 15:16, but I wouldn't know if that's the thing which is causing the issue, and even if it was, I don't see the option to anchor the point to a sketch when I create the "3D fit spline 1" in my model.

My test model... https://cad.onshape.com/documents/49c786d107c712bedee6d65d/w/8a1a53217abf72a816256e60/e/ae08deb2a645555475cac485

Any guesses? Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    I was able to add the "normal to profile" condition to your end profile. It would not work with your start profile as it is not a planar curve.
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    Thank you elif for your time. 
    Still having troubles though. I didn't mention in the earlier post, but I tried that too (Normal to profile condition with "0" magnitude).
    It looks to me that the "0" value (any other value will make the loft feature fail) nullifies the "normal to sketch" property, since I still see the chair being split right there at the midplane as if the "Normal to sketch" option was not enabled ("curvature visualization" mode or "shaded without edges" makes it easier to notice).

My question is if it's currently possible to create the object as seen in the video tutorial, without a "crest" alongside the midplane after the mirror feature. The only way I was able to have the smooth surface after the mirroring was without implementing the two guide-curves.

And if it's not currently possibile that's great too. I can see the Onshape team paying a lot of attention updating, improving and adding surface modelling tools and I don't know if this this case might eventually help sorting out possible issues of coexistence of loft profile end-conditions with guide-curves.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    Ok, so "normal to" profile condition can only achieve tangent continuity not curvature. The "curvature" lines show that disconnect.

Technically Fill feature can handle these cases better (you can indeed select a sketch edge and ask the surface to be curvature continuous, which you can't do with Loft). However in this case I'm assuming due to the tight tip (upper back of the chair), the curvature constraint fails. I will try a bit more, and maybe someone else in the community can come up with a solution
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    Here's an attempt - that gives you the curvature continuity using fill, but unfortunately the edge of the seat isn't quite right, as Fill did not like that curve as a guide.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cf944d0d25d8940e144289e1/w/9cec00853bedd83122684aa9/e/88b6715dde49685e7da76967

Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    And here's by building a construction surface and using loft -- which I think is more like what you were looking for:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cf944d0d25d8940e144289e1/w/9cec00853bedd83122684aa9/e/3be58ac18405ae0b0b46e352

which does not require curvature continuity to get better curvature lines.
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Hi @amCAD, please follow:

• Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Now I see that I've repeated @elif second approach. In general, this approach is the best for symmetrical designs in Onshape.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Beautiful.
    I actually had an intuition about using something like a surface normal to the midplane but I couldn't practically make it work and soon discarded the idea. Will use this procedure from now on whenever needed.

Thank you so much for your help, elif and michał_1.
    Much appreciated.