Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Holes vs Circle and Extrusion. Regeneration Time

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
I was having issues in sheet metal with pages taking forever to regenerate. 
I just realized it takes three times longer to generate a hole vs a circle extruded.   
I made a simple sheet metal part with two flanges and holes on the face and flanges. 
It takes over three times as long for Onshape to generate a hole vs a circle and extrusion. 

I love the hole feature but the more complex a drawing gets the more issue there are and it all seems to be due to the hole feature.  
Any thoughts on this?

Tagged:

Comments

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Anyone have any experience with this? Its getting worse.  Over 60 seconds to now for three holes vs extruding a circle.  
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    We are working on improving sheet metal performance over all. Indeed hole is a much more complex feature than a cut, even on non-sheet metal models it takes more time to regenerate. Please file a ticket with support via feedback button and you'll be informed when improvements in this area are released. For now we recommend that holes are placed at the end of the part studio history and kept suppressed while modeling.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    lana said:For now we recommend that holes are placed at the end of the part studio history and kept suppressed while modeling.
    That's an elegant solution.  I wonder if it could be expanded into each feature being able to determine if it has dependents further down the feature tree, such that we could toggle a "Turbo Mode / High Detail Mode" on or off.  Anything that affects anything else stays on, other things are suppressed...

Cheers,

Owen S. 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @owen_sparks That is an interesting thought - a performance switch for part studio, may be for whole workspace.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @lana Yes indeed.  I must say it's fun to be on the other side of "Can you just add z/y/z" conversations.  Usually I'm the poor sod who has to implement it.  I think I like being the customer for a change :)

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lana by the way, is there now some "multy-threading" in part studio evaluation? i mean part studio definitely knows the structure of feature references, and i think some parallel evaluation of independent feature sequences could be achived.
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov
    No, that is the parallelism we have not built in yet. We are keeping it in mind, but there are some other mechanisms we need to iron-out first. The dependencies analysis is also not as strait-forward as it appears. e.g. if a qEverything() query is used in a custom feature, its evaluation has to block on all threads.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lana said:
    if a qEverything() query is used in a custom feature, its evaluation has to block on all threads.
    i actually never liked this particular query :* and feature writers should use such global queries carefully. thanks for the response
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Another simple example of this not being as straightforward as it seems in Extrude-Up to next.  Extrude seems simple and isolated in practice, but a small change could make an unpredictable change in dependencies.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team