Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unwrapping Tube/Pipe (Cylinders)

TarabichTarabich Member Posts: 29
edited November 2017 in Community Support
How would I go about unwrapping tube ends?

I'm using the beam feature to model a tube chassis. Looking to unwrap the ends of the tubes so I can have a template to cut/notch the tube ends in preparation for welding.

Any solutions to this? It seems it can't be done with sheet metal...

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov where are you at?

He has a funky unwrapper tool that I believe will do what you want...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    hi, my Sketch wrapper FS works with cylinder and cone faces, and Fold FS works with arbitary extruded faces, so it can help if your profile lies on one of the described surface types. And one more thing - you need to split or cut your closed profile along to unwrap it by this tools.

both FS are in this document - https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0bb13c1b6ed6d4a6dd75cf99/w/b4493d47a45c27ce485c84b9/e/c8050a35a7417c12b801bd40

• TarabichTarabich Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2017
    Think this should do, thx. I'm assuming the dimensions are all the same eh?
    Edit: @konstantin_shiriazdanov Wait the feature seems to only work on vertical tubes... for horizonal tubes I just get a line
    hm, it keeps the dimensions, and the result shouldn't depend on orientation of the cylinder. would you mind to share an example of not working case?
    edited November 2017
    As a test I split the tube and tried to unwrap it on the plane behind it, got that line. Looking for the end profile of the tube end attached to the bent tube,
    edited November 2017
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

Do you think it has to do with the fact that its trimmed to a curved beam? I've been testing the feature on the other tubes and they all seem to work.

Edit: Did some "tests" it does appear to work on bends, idk what I did wrong in that particular instance though...
    you can derive that part to a public document and share here, i'll take a look
    i made a cut by myself precisely along the cyl axis and rotated cylinder's coordinate system at 90 deg and it turned to work.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/613757184cc86b3d44ef5d56/w/927fc57466b6aebdac40d93d/e/4940f8dd0a9acd3eeaa9d37c
    the problem was that in your case y axis of cyl's coord sys don't comes through the cut

edited November 2017
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

Oh so I gotta rotate it eh? So the feature when correctly used should reveal the whole unwrapped part? (Thx for giving me an example, every time I did it before it was giving me only a portion of the tube.)

Sorry just to clarify so I don't make the same error-

The problem was the cut wasn't on an axis of the tube.
    And to display the full unwrapped tube I have to rotate the surface.

So the final unwrapped tube should be a complete flat surface right, no lines sticking out or anything. Is there a way to determine exactly what angle I have to view it at (some seem to be 90/270 some 180, does it have to do with the position of those red arrows in relation to the part?). (I also saw a delete face in there, is that needed?)

Thanks for all the help!

I might have more questions later so sorry. It might take me a bit to get better with your feature.

Is there a tutorial, video, or checklist for the feature so I don't miss any steps or make any mistakes?
    edited November 2017
    Lio said:

So the final unwrapped tube should be a complete flat surface right, no lines sticking out or anything. Is there a way to determine exactly what angle I have to view it at (some seem to be 90/270 some 180, does it have to do with the position of those red arrows in relation to the part?). (I also saw a delete face in there, is that needed?)

yes, since the feature unwraps the face it normally creates a corresponding sketch region. sadly now you have to do some manual work of making cuts along closed surfaces and orienting coordinate system's y axis to come through the cut, but not through the face.
    no matter how you do the cut, but y axis of surface coordinate system should come through it, when looking along z axis of that coord system. that why you can rotate that coord sys around it's z axis.
    and because of my laziness I didn't any manual or a title sheet to those features. delete face i used to delete your cut because it was done not along the cyl's axis, you probably selected a sketch plane which was not normal to the cylinder.

@konstantin_shiriazdanov

I see, well thanks for all the help, I surely would've been lost without ya. This feature will definitely make cutting the tubes easier and more accurate.

Thank you!