Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Link vs Copy a Document

john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
edited November 2017 in Community Support
I want to include other public documents/parts into my documents where I can modify/revision those parts and keep source author attribution,

It seems I can link a document at any revision and update to a newer revision as they come out, but I can't edit the document unless I copy it.
When I copy it, the document loses all notion of source attribution.  Also if I like a document/part then later want to copy it, it's a different part I need to change in my assemblies.

Can copy work like GIT fork, where I can have a reference to a branch revision, make my own local changes, while maintaining historical changes / authorship and maybe even issuing a pull request to see if the upstream author is interested in the edits. It could possibly reduce all the copies floating around in the public documents section..

Thanks
-John

Best Answers

Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    You can derive the part you want to modify. Derive feature can use parts from versions of linked documents. I think that would give you the functionality you want; you'll be able to update derived feature to the new versions of the source document and you can make changes to the derived part in your own part studio. i have to warn you agains long derivation chains though ( Part Studio C derived from Part Studio B, derived from Part Studio A) - they kill performance. Think of derived feature as whole base part studio regenerating in context of the deriving one.
  • john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
    @robert_morris , Thank you for the response. You description is what I was looking for although my initial concern came after I started copying other users parts, stepper, servo motors, etc.  Then realizing that with a copy command, all notion of original ownership was lost, the details indicates that I am the creator of the part. 

Do you know if User A grants me (User B) edit access to their part, or if I link to their part, if User A deletes a part is it removed from my documents as well ?

@lana

Thank you for the pointer on Derived parts. If I understand you, what I did was create a new Document, then added a derived part/document as the only part in that document then I should be able to edit that part.  What is interesting is the part links via the Derive Part function but you can't really edit. I can see the total assembled part and the individual parts and I can kind of see the sketches but the sketch and operation detail is hidden, only new operations are visible.  See here I derived a servo motor, then added a mate connector which worked fine, but I can't really modify and of the drawing components.  Also the Derive Document has the same initial issue in that the source authorship is hidden, although I can open the linked document.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/63f72c9d19b85fb2e0aa2e94/w/ef674a3c221e497a089ee708/e/5e2b1a3e4c0dd997c083a85e
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @robert_morris, I believe you can indeed merge forks. However, you can't merge changes made to a derived part in a separate part studio. You would have to be working on a forks within the same part studio in. @lana, please confirm?
    You can merge forks of a part you own or have edit rights to. If you like to a part that you don't have edit rights to, you can only view that part, to modify it, you need to make a copy of it first, If you make a copy you can edit any element of the part. If you derive a part then you can only make additive / subtractive edits, you can modify any of the original elements, sketches, planes, extrudes, etc.