Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Lofting Trapezoids

tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
edited December 2017 in Community Support
I have a prototype 3D shape made from cardboard and tape that I'd like to model for 3D printing. It looks like this (minus the flaps):

At first I decided it would be best to start with a side profile and extrude. But it seems problematic with all the angles it has in 3D:

So I tried lofting. It wouldn't allow me to create a solid trapezoid for some reason, so I opted for the surface option instead (Note: The following dimensions are temporary, and innacurate. I'm just trying to get the basic shape down first):

1. What's the best way to go about building this shape?

2. Why won't it loft as a 'solid' (or 'add' the surfaces together, instead of having to create a 'new' surface for each section)?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    It may be because you are using construction lines in your sketch. Please share a link.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
    I thought the whole point of the construction lines was to have lines as a visual aid, without interfering with anything else.

I'm currently on a mobile device, so I can't share the link. I'll add it when I can get on my laptop.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Lines need to be solid (with shaded area) in order to make a solid loft.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2017
    Of course. I just like to sketch with dotted (construction) lines. Then I make the relevant lines solid. Just like sketching on paper. You can see in the images; third and fourth from the bottom. Anyway, heres the link: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ca60eca621e64c1fc9c45e3d/w/4ed0ef136519b256ff3fbdf7/e/12d156519fc4b323598d1b4d