Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cover Wheel design approach

Hello,

I am willing to design a Cover Wheel. I have basic knowledge about surface modeling on Onshape (Loft command, etc.) and I have done few items using it.
I first though that designing a cover wheel  was going to be easy but I was wrong!

I have started with the holes that I have repeated using a circular pattern
I am now struggling with the joining of all those features. I cannot find a way to do it.

I actually suppose I should have proceed completely differently but I don't know how: does some

Comments

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
     cédric_figarol

Hello! Can you please share your document as public and paste the URL in for us? Thank you in advance! 

• Options
    cédric_figarolcédric_figarol Member Posts: 4
    Hello!
    Thank you for your response.
    Here is the link to the document I am talking about.
    Still in progress of course.
    Cédric

• Options
     cédric_figarol

Thank you for providing us the link!  I am still a little confused on what you are trying to accomplish with this project. Do you have an example image of what you are trying to do? Thank you again!
  • Options
    Sure,
    I need to design a Cover to cover the wheel (grey part). It is supposed to be clipped on the wheel's lip.
    So what I need to do now is to "unifiy" the blue surfaces on a sort of disc that then will be clipped on the lip (hand drawing in green below).
    I am struggling with the unifying step.
    I hope it is a little clearer.
    Thank you

• Options
    edited December 2017
     cédric_figarol  I think I understand now but I am still having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to do with the surfaces that you have created. Hopefully my example will provide you some guidance. 

For this I would recommend only constructing a portion of the wheel that you can circular pattern afterwards. 

Using our bridging curve and 3D fit splint tools, you can create the boundary you need to fill around these surfaces. 

Hopefully this gets you on the right path. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0cc2b68bbb4084fe62fda05e/w/4a60035a91f5f3c8b0391a51/e/e3d4c986762e0ee23e68d812

I split the model at 60 degrees. 

Using the bridging curves and fit spline tools I made a boundary that I want to fill with a surface.  

Filled using the surface fill tool 

Circular pattern to complete the model. 

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Hello John,
    First of all, I want to thank you for your help and your time. It is very kind.
    Thanks to your advises, I've finally done want I wanted to learn technically (not even close when it comes to aesthetic! ;)
    Below some screenshots and the link to the file.
    Again, Thank you very much.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/599b3b842beab5715db348d8/w/e1bb6fb77498dea98e140a79/e/5c30552a2cc93f0e327661d3

• Options
     cédric_figarol

No problem! Keep up the good progress.