Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Naming Parts/Assemblies in an assembly

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Probably a silly question, but Google has not helped me..

I have a whole load of parts.  Some I put in an assembly (called 'support').  I add two of these support assemblies to an other assembly and I went to call them left support and right support.  I can't see any way of changing the names from support<1> and support<2>.

Thanks

Iain

Comments

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    You need to right click on the assembly where you see it in the far right "tabs" window (hit alt+t or click the little magnify glass in the lower left to turn it on/off), not the "instances" window.
  • Options
    iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Thanks for you're reply Tony.  However, I think you are telling me how to change the name of an assembly.(in the example below) the I have an assembly 'Support' with two instances in this assembly.  They are called 'Support<1>' and 'Support<2>'.  I want to change the names of them to 'Left Support' and 'Right Support', but when I right click there is no rename option.

Thanks

Iain

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Oh...In that case you're going to need to copy that assembly and name one "support left" and the other "support right."   That <1> is just indicating how many of that assembly/part you have in your assembly. 
  • Options
    emerson_botteroemerson_bottero Member, Developers Posts: 37 ✭✭
    You can just mirror it in the studio. Than you will have 2 different parts. If you wanna change them later you can always drag the mirror feature to the end of the tree.