Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 2nd, 2018

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
edited December 2017 in New in Onshape
Happy New Year! Welcome everyone to 2018 and what a great way to kick things off with an awesome Onshape update!

CONFIGURATIONS

You can now create multiple variations of your parts using configurations. In summary, multiple independent configuration inputs enable you to quickly create complex configurations with varying dimensions, features and part properties. Configurations in Onshape are different from what you may be used to, so please watch the video through to the end. A series of blog posts and webinars are scheduled for the next week or so to demonstrate the awesome power of configurations in Onshape, so please keep an eye out for those.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/l7ksddm2mq?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

However, before you dive in and start building configurations for all your fasteners...

STANDARD CONTENT

Onshape now provides a built-in library of standard fasteners for use in assemblies. Each fastener includes a mate connector to make them easy to assemble. Automated assembly tools make stacks of fasteners like bolt-washer-washer-nut combinations easy to build.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3r00kzcgpr?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

ROLLED SHEET METAL

Onshape will now recognise large radius arcs and extruded splines and convert them into rolled sheet metal parts.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hb06ba364h?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CREATE SELECTION IN SKETCH

The Create Selection tool can now be used in sketches to select entities that are tangent, connected, equal in length / radius, or parallel. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6pp4r3s8l6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SKETCH VIEWS IN DRAWINGS

You can now insert a view of a sketch into a drawing to detail layouts or simple platework that don't require a full 3D model.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5ccfuxktbc?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

VIEW IMPORTED 2D DRAWINGS

Now when you import a DWG, DXF or DWT file, the element tab containing the file can now be viewed using ARES® Kudo™ by Gräbert. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bedd8v5dua?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

"S" KEY SHORTCUT TOOLBAR IN DRAWINGS

By popular demand, the S key shortcut toolbar has now been added to drawings. This means you can now add your dimensions, datums, notes and balloons by pressing the S key on your keyboard and selecting a command from your user defined toolbar that pops up right by your cursor. To edit the icons in the shortcut toolbar, go to My Account in the top right corner of the screen, then Preferences.

SHEET PROPERTIES DIALOG AND REFERENCE LINKS

The sheet properties dialog is now more consistent with other dialogs in drawings. There are also new link icons in the sheets and view properties dialogs that will switch the tab to the referenced part or assembly in the current Document or open a referenced linked Document.

SELECTION IMPROVEMENTS FOR SHEETS FLYOUT

In the new sheets flyout, you can now select more than one view from the list. This enables you to modify multiple views on a single sheet (for example, to remove all tangent lines from every view on the sheet) or delete multiple views from multiple sheets at the same time.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Now THAT'S an update, holy smokes!

This update to sheet metal is something I've been waiting for for a long time, this is the one thing I still needed in order to use Onshape fully at work, and now it's here!

Also, the capabilities of the standard content and configurations blew my socks off, can't wait to give those a try.

Thank you so much Onshape!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2018
    However, before you dive in and start building configurations for all your fasteners...
    I'm evil, I would have pushed configurations this release, let people build bolts for a week, then had a bonus extra January release with the standard content  :p 

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Ben_Misegades said:
    holy smokes!

...standard content and configurations blew my socks off, can't wait to give those a try.
    Yes indeed, with this update we're gonna need a sock retrieval featurescript stat.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Standard Content looks amazing! At first I was excited, but when it mated "closest to" and pushed the other components outward my mind was blown. Well done. Adding part number and description was excellent.

Very happy to see configurations as well, I already have uses for that.

Thanks for adding the sketch selection!

Happy New year!
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Nice, thank you so much for the update! Configurations and Standard Parts!  :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is a HUGE RELEASE. I am so excited to see configurations and standard content as well as my much-wanted roll-formed sheet metal features. Thankyou... Thankyou... Thankyou.  Now I am going to spend time adding fasteners to all my projects which I have been put off pending this release. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Very well executed configurations.  Thanks you for a big bang start to the New Year!

www.accuratepattern.com
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Configs bring really new degree of freedom, congratulations to the OS team!
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Very awesome update!!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I am just playing with the Ares Kudos viewer and now really want to be able to edit my files too. 
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @ilya_baran
    Wow, that's pretty amazing for such a simple example. So much flexibility.

@john_mcclary
    That gif made my cheeks hurt  :D
  • RKRK OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Wow Onshape Team, you have provided more functionality than I could ever imagine.  Thank you so much!
  • 123_456660123_456660 Member Posts: 31 EDU
    yaay! now i can delete my fasteners folder!
    In Standard Content, I see that you can add company-wide part numbers and descriptions this is perfect, is there anywhere you can get an overview of what parts are related to your company or already used in your company?
  • jared_fitzclarencejared_fitzclarence Member Posts: 13 PRO
    This is fantastic team. Blown away by how useful onshape is becoming and seeing less and less need other packages.

Couple of thoughts. 
     - When you are rolling sheet metal you often need to include green material to be able to process. It would be very useful to be able to add this to the flat pattern 
     - When you set the company Part Number and Description I see that you set the material used which makes sense but there was no dialogue to set material. It would appear that if for instance you labeled a company part number for a SS316 fastener and then used the same item again but specified SS304 it would overwrite the company part number and description ??
     - When you add a sketch to a drawing it would be handy to have an option to automatically show the sketch dimensions to prevent having to add them all back in again. Then you can add additional or hide un-necessary as appropriate. 
     - This functionality to upload DXF/DWG etc is brilliant however we find that customers normally only distribute PDF's. Is this planning in the works to enable the reading of PDF's to convert to onshape drawings etc? I have just spent the morning re-drawing parts from a customers PDF's to fabricate. 
    @ilya_baran
    Out of mathematical curiosity, in your example above, why is the Clearance from Input set to (0.1 - 0.1 / sqrt(2)) in? That's oddly specific. It seems somehow related to the sides/diagonal of a square?
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Onshape team is clearly awesome and their CAD software is too because of them. Keep up the fantastic work OS team!

-CRM
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @mahir I was playing around with making sure the sheet metal box doesn't intersect the part at the bends, but needed to do something else before I finished, so there are two mistakes:
    1. the clearance is correct (difference between circle radius and distance from square center to a corner) if the bend radius is 0.1 inch, but in the versioned SM model the bend radius is 0.09 inch
    2. The flanges are not properly offset by the clearance, so the sheet metal box still does overlap a cube.
    Basically, this was meant as an example to illustrate the concept, not as an actual useful feature.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @mahir I was playing around with making sure the sheet metal box doesn't intersect the part at the bends, but needed to do something else before I finished, so there are two mistakes:
    1. the clearance is correct (difference between circle radius and distance from square center to a corner) if the bend radius is 0.1 inch, but in the versioned SM model the bend radius is 0.09 inch
    2. The flanges are not properly offset by the clearance, so the sheet metal box still does overlap a cube.
    Basically, this was meant as an example to illustrate the concept, not as an actual useful feature.
    Ah, gotcha, @ilya_baran
    0.1 - 0.1 / sqrt(2) = 0.1*(1 - sqrt(2)/2)

Btw, wouldn't checking "Clearance includes bends" with a clearance of 0 take care of this automatically?
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @mahir, Heh, so that's what that option is for :)  Haven't done a lot of SM modeling or coding...
    On your picture, though, careful: it illustrates 0.1 * (sqrt(2) - 1), which a little bigger.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    edited January 2018
    On your picture, though, careful: it illustrates 0.1 * (sqrt(2) - 1), which a little bigger.
    Gotcha. More like this. Had a geometry brain fart.

@Yikun_Song
    You need to create the drawing using an ANSI standard instead of ISO. I'm not sure how to change that after the fact, or if it's even possible.
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    A-Stounding! Some I didn't even know I needed as badly as I did.
  • tago_kalbritago_kalbri Member Posts: 8 PRO
    edited January 2018
    Epic updates, guys. 

Do you plan to give standard content to part studio also?
    I do use currently "PP capscrews beta" feature to make holes into multible parts etc. 
    Idea...OnShape standard contect for Part Studio + PP capscrews features would equal pure win :) 
    Epic updates, guys. 

Do you plan to give standard content to part studio also?
    I do use currently "PP capscrews beta" feature to make holes into multible parts etc. 
    Idea...OnShape standard contect for Part Studio + PP capscrews features would equal pure win :) 
    Great suggestion.

For today we can use a workaround for partstudio standard content.

Assembly with desired part.
    In context edit
    Copy in place

Then you have a part studio part that can be derived as required.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd