Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DWG import and Zooming limitations

mechanical_cadmechanical_cad OS Professional Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hello,

I noticed from a while that there are some limitations when importing DWG into sketch. Error says too many entities. For me they are not too many. Do you expect increasing the number of entities?

Also noticed limitations when zooming. Also not enough zoom possibility for me. Must be increased. 

Thanks,
Ivaylo

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Hello @mechanical_cad - please open a support ticket and attach the DWG that you need to be able import into a sketch. I dont know the actual number, but please check that you are only importing entities (lines, ercs etc) and not a lot of exploded text (that will greatly increase the entity count).
    Thank you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    mechanical_cadmechanical_cad OS Professional Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Hello Philip and Happy New Year!

Yes there is a lot of exploded text and parasitic entities, but this is what the client send me. What about the zooming limitations?

Regards,
    Ivaylo
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @mechanical_cad - First, this is a real professional workflow and we want to support you.
    The short term solutions MAY include, dissecting out just the layers that contain geometry in a free standalone Acad clone. This MAY help with the zoom issue. 
    The longer term solution is most definitely to share the document with Onshape support (you may have already).
    As a pro user, you most definitely get priority support and any enhancement requests that you submit are much more heavily weighted.
    I was in Florida for xmas/new-years - it was 85 degrees and sunny every day - its snowing here in Boston!
    Hope yours was also good :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    I think 8000 entities may be the current limit of a dwg when importing into a sketch.  We'll be needing much more than this if working with Architects CAD files.