Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

working with multiple objects

Hello, I am new to onshape. I am working on 2 piece which should connect together once 3d printed. I have made one piece so far and I am just wondering if there is an easy way to make sure my second piece will fit with the first piece? 

I have seen that i can make an assembly to position them together, but if i want to edit the second piece i need to leave the assembly to make the changes and go back. 

is there a way to import the first piece into the second piece's file to use it as a reference?

Answers

• Options
    dick_van_der_vaartdick_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 51 PRO
    Best to start viewing some tutorials first, like this one https://www.onshape.com/videos/multipart-design

Welcom
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2018
    Hi, as ever with CAD there are several approaches to this.

(a) In hindsight the answer is to model both pieces in one partstudio.  OS excels in modeling multiple parts together.  This allows a dimension on Part B to be projected off Part A, or for Part B to be subtracted from Part A.  The general rule of thumb is if they're geometrically related then model them together.  If two parts are unrelated then for clarity and performance then model them in different studios.  Also an assembly possibly isn't even required.  They're great for showing parts that move but are often not required.

(b) Parts can be derived into other part studios, this is good but the feature tree does not come in with the derive.

(c) Worth noting that you can have the assembly open in one browser tab and the part studio in another and they'll both update in real time as the other is edited.

(d) There's also In Context Editing that allows parts to be built or modified from an assembly.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    ^^^^ Nicely done Owen! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape