Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Guide curve or more profiles for lofting.

brad_phelanbrad_phelan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in FeatureScript
I am lofting a changing profile P(t) where t is a parameter tmin < t < tmax. I can generate the profile at any t so any number of intermediate profiles are possible. I could also generate the guide curves for the profiles. However is there any benefit to using guide curves if I can just generate more intermediate profiles directly? 

Answers

• Arunabha_NagArunabha_Nag Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 17
    It depends on the shape you want to create. It is not possible to give the right answer without seeing what you want to generate. Note that a guide curve influences only one side face or one side edge of the loft.

If you are using intermediate profiles to provide location of loft sections (as opposed to changing the shape of the cross-section), you may want to try using 'path' (in FS, set "addSections" to true, set path-query as "spine" and number of intermediate profiles as "sectionCount"). Path will generate intermediate profiles for you.

• brad_phelanbrad_phelan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I am changing the shape of the profile. Not radically but lengths and angles change.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either method (profiles vs guide curves) will work given enough curves or profiles. If you have the same number of vertices, at every profile, then you can use one guide curve for each vertex. If the shape changes drastically, profiles might be a better option. It will also depend on how complex your path is. Which method you use depends on which will be easier for you to edit/adjust if necessary and which gives the look you're after. Without knowing any specifics about your geometry, I would suggest you try both options and see what works best for you.