Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Merging parts

mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in General
Trying to merge two parts together and there is a face I cannot extrude because it wont grey out!
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1c3ffd9de2a7d53858dfc0dc/w/084b5adfa12d7efc44ebfa65/e/12bad5cfd5f4c0e27d3d3a38

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The reason the sketch "won't grey out", is that it doesn't form closed contours.
    A good tip is to use lines to half the contour each time to determine where the opening is.

As you can see, the gaps are in the bottom left hand corner and the top right hand corner.
    Takes 10 seconds to fix once you know where they are

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Great! I followed your suggestion and fixed the problem thank you! However I didn't get an answer on how to merge two sketched parts together! Thought maybe you could show how that's done!

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Not sure what your question is. 1) If you have two regions they can both be used in extrude or other solid tool. OR  2) To make one sketch region from two, you would trim curves to create one region but that is usually not necessary because of #1
    www.accuratepattern.com