Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unique part numbers in Onshape and OpenBOM

claus_jeppesen817claus_jeppesen817 Member Posts: 39 PRO
edited February 2018 in Community Support
In all Onshape videos and tutorials I have witnessed parts are called names. But in real life all parts are identified by UNIQUE numbers only. Then how can it be possible to create more parts with same number? 
In OpenBom the error is not noticed. 
This experiment was done in the same document. Unique part numbers shall be a rule for all the organisations material and OpenBOM, part catalogues and inventory
What should be the best practice in creating part numbers in Onshape?

Answers

• claus_jeppesen817claus_jeppesen817 Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Hate to BUMP, but I really need advice:
    How do you avoid duplicate partnumbers in Onshape and OpenBOM
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @claus_jeppesen817

If you use Onshape BOM for google sheets, it has this functionality where you can push back part properties to Onshape
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @mbartlett21 I am working on support for configs and standard content so we should have support there too.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • emerson_botteroemerson_bottero Member, Developers Posts: 37 ✭✭
    @claus_jeppesen817  Where do you used to get your Unique number from? worksheet, ERP?
    I would just make sure that Onshape and OpenBOM do not permit duplicate P/N. We do not use ERP or any other P/N generator, we start by assigning parts in Onshape unique P/N manually as soon as they are modelled.
    In a file based system (solidworks) duplicate P/N would not be permitted
    What would be the best practise in Onshape?

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    No way I know to stop double ups.

What I do is have the home screen open in another tab and do a part number search as I am creating to ensure I don't double up.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Thanks
    Could there be a flag raised automatically in Onshape when someone tries to use a duplicate P/N?
    And why does openBOM accept duplicate P/N?
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @claus_jeppesen817

OpenBOM can control uniqueness of P/N via Part Catalog functionality. 

And sometimes it is useful to have 2 lines with the same P/N (for example when you need to have instance based BOM). 
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    The new release management system contains auto part number generation which will only issue out unique part numbers.  We have transitioned to only using this system and assigning part numbers when they are ready for their initial release.  The scheme of part numbers can be defined in the company properties.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The new release management system contains auto part number generation which will only issue out unique part numbers.  We have transitioned to only using this system and assigning part numbers when they are ready for their initial release.  The scheme of part numbers can be defined in the company properties.
    How do you go with the pre-script on this? that was one thing I didn't like as I use a flat part number system for both assy's and part's and repeat this part number as the drawing number which is propagated to my title block form either the part or assembly. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977