Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Just a quick question on how I should go about printing this model

mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
I want to print this model and the bes way I found was to stand it on one side with the two hooks running parallel to the print bed. Im using a XYZ Davinci 1.0 AIO printer and when I went to try and print this model in said position I got a message to repair it and the position changed to the hooks down leaving a whole area open which means a lot of supports. Should I print in halves and glue them together or is there a better way?!
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b286ee52217510953cd29d04/w/56ceec4e263a39bbaa3e2e8b/e/41fe212d141c4aaacd533e59

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd print with the "16V" face down. That gives you the least amount of overhang and won't require much support structure, whether soluble or cutaway.
  • mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    When I generated support structures via simplify 3D it added supports to the numbers/letter when faced down. I can generate single supports where i want though so my question then is can I leave the supports free of the numbers/letter impressions?!
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no. You can leave the text unsupported, but there will probably bee some sagging. You can also partially fill the text with a hatch pattern if that is aesthetically acceptable. That would reduce the likelihood of sagging.
  • mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Ok thanks much for that!