Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How To Measure The Resulting "Altered' Dimension After Applying a Draft?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
edited March 2018 in General
I really don't know how many degrees I want to Draft but I can probably get a grip on that final dimension to check my part but am not sure of the best way to measure the resulting Draft dimension.

I have chosen a top feature surface on a simple rectangular extrusion/remove feature then selected the 2 sides and 'drafted' them 'x' degrees.  I then selected the remaining 'surface' of the now smaller draft area. Started a new sketch and 'Used' the previous resulting 'draft' lines and then measured those distances.

Is there another/better way to do so? Video should help. Not sure why YouTube is not playing nice but here's another shot at a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-ZheQKj0c

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2a10797e268c04fe7f37fd50/w/c65785afe6e50776efa3a0a2/e/1b285cad3276fe119388476c

Comments

• Options
    OK So that's how you post twice :):o I'll see if I can delete 1 post.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    No Clue how to delete a post. Actually very little clue on how to navigate any parts of this forum after using hundreds of different forum software this fella has me continually stumped.
  • Options
    Apologies, not sure why YouTube is not cooperating....
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,036 EDU
    @larry_hawes

You can select the lines or whatever you want to measure in the part studio.
    A measurement will pop up in the bottom right corner. Sometimes there will be an arrow on it which will give you more measurements when you click on it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Thank you for the comment and it is helpful but I think my question was a bit mis-leading or at least incomplete. I re-posted a video that explains more of what I'm looking to do. Not sure if this possible to calculate within OnShape or if it is an external calc applied to Sketch/Drafts/etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-ZheQKj0c
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited March 2018
    Hi @larry_hawes

This is a pretty simple trigonometry problem:

Imagine this triangle is you looking along the side wall that you're drafting inwards.

You know y, it's the extrude depth.
    You know x, it's the amount of edge you want to "consume" with your draft.  In your specific case .01 a.k.a. (.5 - .48) / 2
    You're looking for a.

tan(a) = x / y
    a = atan(x / y)

You don't need to do this calculation yourself, you can actually just put "atan((.1 in)/(.8 in))" directly into the draft angle input.

You can also make this a little more by making a extrudeDepth variable and then using that in both the extrude depth field and the draft angle field, so that if you want to change the depth, you can change it in one place and your .48 across the bottom will still be the same.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable.htm

Another completely different approach to this that doesn't require any equation setup on your part would be to just sketch the exact rectangle that you want to go up to, and then do a loft subtraction between the two rectangles.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/loft.htm
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/loft
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    THANK YOU JAKE!!

You made my crazy question actually understandable. Unfortunately simple trigonometry problems have not been simple for many years and had no idea this could be done in OnShape as you illustrate. I will try this on the real part as soon as I get a chance.

Again thank you so much for the time and assistance.
  • Options
    Tried your suggestion and might be missing something simple. I can see the draft being applied but cannot get OnShape to accept the formula in the Draft dialog box.

Thanks again for any assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtGBxa1hOE

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    also you might use loft command with remoove option using two cross sections, it would allow you to directly obtain desired shape in this case
  • Options
    Thank you Konstantin but in the production part I think a loft would break some of the geometry, or at least I would probably manage to break the geometry with a loft..
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @larry_hawes

Really sorry about this.  I should've tried it out before posting, and made some assumptions that weren't true.  First thing, you don't need the quotation marks, they were just my way of saying "put exactly this thing into the box".  But what I told you to put in wouldn't work, sorry to create confusion.  What you'll actually want to put is:

atan((.1in)/(.8in))
    or even:
    atan(.1/.8)
    since the units cancel out anyway.

The first weird thing that's going on here was this:
    atan(.1in/.8in)
    is interpreted according to standard order of operations where "in" is actually considered a multiplication operation.  So this actually worked out to something like:
    atan(.1 * in / .8 * in)
    atan((.1 * in / .8) * in)
    atan(.125 in^2)
    which the system wasn't happy with (atan takes a unitless input).

The other weird this is that I told you to type:
    atan(.1in/.8in) in
    which is
    atan(.125in^2) in,
    which is just a total mess.........

I'll go edit my origin post, sorry for all the trouble.
  • Options
    P.S. the reason it looks like that draft is working is because these "invalid expression" errors are actually refusing to let you commit that expression into the field.  What you're seeing is a draft of whatever was in that box before you edited it (probably 3 degrees since that's the default).
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Thanks again Jake, I tried the new formula and found we had approx. 10 times the draft angle needed. I believe (.5-.48)/2=.01 not .1 and the formula should read atan(.01/.8) which gives a proper and accurate angle for the draft. Again thanks so much for the help. Much appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks @larry_hawes

Looks like I'm having a hard time today :)