Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Has anyone looked at using Onshape for full integration into a manufacturing shop?

chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
Hello party people,
I am asking this because I have started to look at how a manufacturing shop could utilize this cloud-ware to fully integrate routers, models, prints, setups and programs internally as well as externally with customers and vendors. I have been researching using a one two punch integrating it with g suite. I was wondering if anyone else here on the boards has started to or is looking to go for it and create a better throughput option that I see a lot of shops struggling with.
Everyone stay awesome and keep breaking down those walls.    

Best Answers

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'm looking into this for our shop. It integrates nicely with mastercam, and also has some cam software on the app store (sorta :/ )
    OnShape is still lacking a few key features before we can make the leap for good. But I really like the collaboration tools and the ability to share a link with people rather than creating eDrawings or PDF's constantly.

I keep pushing some of these features in hopes they get bumped up the list (Sheet-Metal sketch bend, Sheet-Metal Cylinder). Please help out by voting in the improvement request area: https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-voting

Other than the parts I cannot flatten yet, everything else is going smooth.
  • chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    That sounds awesome John,
    I am working out the cost benefit analysis for the following:
    1. Overall cost/savings for the CAD and Gsuite shift (the actual time for training, subscription, hardware costs, on-boarding new tech) 
    2. Updating CNC technicians workstations with tablets(also hardware, training, and on-boarding new tech)
    3. Using Onshape to store all setup documentation, tool lists, video and hot links to vendors for material and tooling( document gives revision history to be ISO compliant for trace ability)
    4. Utilizing a cloud-based QA built in Gsuite for inspection(first piece, in process, and final as well as storage for customers required documentation)
    I will definitely join you in upvoting on the sheet metal improvements ( i thought I was doing it wrong until I sent in a help request myself)

• chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Happy Monday Bradley,
    That link covered a great deal of what I am trying to convey. I am still trying to find the best road to getting the model, print, and program into the CNC technicians workstation. I know there is a view only share feature and that is a workaround. 
    Thank you for the link , it is awesome to see another point of view to moving the next stage forward.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @chris_winters404

Check out my post: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6576/why-onshape-documents-make-you-more-productive-on-the-manufacturing-floor#latest

I just made a .pdf file that might help.

Like yourself I am on a mission for full integration in a job shop.

Best opened it Google Chrome

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chris_winters404

I added some QR codes so if you have the printed hardcopy you can scan the frist with your phone or tablet and open the Onshape doc with all the files and links. I open the second so the QR would open the time clock google sheet to see time being added and how it is progressing through the shop.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign