Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Embedding an STL file into a second STL file

daryl_brameldaryl_bramel Member Posts: 2 EDU

I am trying to identify a way to produce an STL file that has an imprint of my grip (hand,fingers) on it.  I have found some 3D scanning sodftware (Qlone for IOS) to capture a STL of my hand, but now I want to take that image and form an impression on another STL file, like a handle for example.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area?

Thank you,
DKB 

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    That would be amazing!  I suggest just modeling it in clay and scan the model.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • daryl_brameldaryl_bramel Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Clay is not needed with a 3D scanner like Qlone for IOS, or any of the many 3D scanners. What I need help with is melding two Onshape (CAD) documents or STL files so that a 3D (CAD) imprint is placed onto the second CAD document.

Thank you.
    DKB
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Im not too familiar with STLs in Onshape, but my first instinct is to set up a mate connector on each part and use "Transform" and select "Transform by Mate Connectors" to bring the parts together by their added mate connectors. You can use the "Use" command in a sketch to take geometry from another object

You can also insert them into an assembly with their mate connectors fastened together, then use "Create Part Studio in-context" to create an in-context part studio where you can use the geometry without having the STLs in that same part studio. I would personally use the second method. Essentially pulling relevant geometry from the STLs as needed.