Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I create a sketch entity from an in-context part?

brian_woodbrian_wood Member Posts: 7 PRO
I have an RS-232 connector from my main assembly poking through a rear panel part. I am editing that rear panel part in-context (thank you, by the way), and want to select the outline of the RS-232 connector and then grow it a little for clearance, rather than drawing an all new set of lines and curves. How?

Best Answers

• brian_woodbrian_wood Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I figured the offset tool would work. Tried the Use tool but had trouble. Will try it again and see if I can get it to work.
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Use and Offset did the trick! Painfully slow tonight - even the rendering is showing line segments instead of circles - but it works. Busy servers, perhaps? Of course, I am also streaming audio and only have a 10MB bits/sec download and 0.8 up. Sheesh. Thanks for the help.

Answers

Answer ✓
    I figured the offset tool would work. Tried the Use tool but had trouble. Will try it again and see if I can get it to work.
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Use and Offset did the trick! Painfully slow tonight - even the rendering is showing line segments instead of circles - but it works. Busy servers, perhaps? Of course, I am also streaming audio and only have a 10MB bits/sec download and 0.8 up. Sheesh. Thanks for the help.