Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing a text file of x y z points

eoin_cannoneoin_cannon Member Posts: 1
Hi
I can't find an answer here but does anyone know if it's possible to import a txt file of x y z points. Does OnShape have a different file format or anything? Solidworks uses .sldcrv which is just a renamed .txt file in a certain format. I've attached the file I want to import.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eoin

Tagged:

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No such capability exists yet in Onshape.
  • steven_chandrasteven_chandra Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm just wondering if there are any news regarding importing X Y Z co-ordinates. This question was asked in August, wondering if they have added anything new since then that can support this. 
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @steven_chandra

No such capability exists yet in Onshape.

Still the same.
  • eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Anything new here?
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    These days it's best to create improvement request for voting. Choose IR gategory on right and create new if this doesn't exist already..
    //rami
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    There's no way to do it directly, but it is possible to upload a CSV file of XYZ data and create a custom feature that turns it back into points.  Let me know if this is interesting and I'll post an example.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should check this FeatureScript: 3D Points

It allow you to import the X,Y, Z list of points as points or create splines or polylines
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Well - this one has been up for a while!

Super simple - reads an XYZ CSV file and passes a 3D spline through it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f8191d0fd7fe9a488e8dcd15/w/29be675d29fa9f017b6fed6e/e/2de5c3146b997f177a4bd4e5

Here is the source code - super simple :)

var points = [];

for (var row in curveData)
                points = append(points, vector(row[0], row[1], row[2]) * meter);

opFitSpline(context, id, {
                        "points" : points
                    });

Have fun! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @philip_thomas
    I would like to see the code of your 'BOOM'-image creator that adds those images to your posts.  :D

//rami