Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there have function three-point rectangle?

dragon_chen_dragondragon_chen_dragon Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

Comments

• jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Not that I'm aware of but making perpendicular lines is very easy.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes for now it's a case of using a 2-point rectangle, deleting out the auto horizontal and vertical constraints, and then adding an additional coincident to your third point.

If you feel that you'd like a 3-point rectangle feature then please raise an improvement request (link on the right).  We have a 3-point circle so the rectangle too sounds good.

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited April 2018
    I'd rather have an assignable 'vertical/horizontal'.  i.e. select a line and assign it as the frame of reference.  It is good to have a quick horiz/vertical setting and it makes lining up Points more obvious but in reality is is a constraint that often gets in the way e.g. when you rotate part of a drawing.

And no, I don't want to make it a feature request in another thread :)
    I'd rather have an assignable 'vertical/horizontal'...

And no, I don't want to make it a feature request in another thread :)
    Sorry, I'm confused.  You'd like onshape to introduce a new type of feature for you, but you don't want to tell them about it?  

Owen S
    HWM-Water Ltd
    It's a bit late, it's not a feature I'd like but more of something that should have been there from the beginning.  There are many things like that, e.g. being able to define the 'front' side of a sketch and it's orientation etc but they have not been included by design.

It isn't really a bad thing, the more options there are the less consistent the drawing methods and the more likely features are to break when they are updated.

So no, it isn't a feature I'd like to see added.
    edited April 2018
    Anyway, here is how I draw a 3 point rectangle which isn't as much hassle as it seems.  Usually you want a 3 point rectangle because some of the points or edges are already fixed, all you need is the other sides.

Or for the example you have at the top ...

edited April 2018
    Thanks @jrs_spedley, I understand your point and agree in this instance there are many ways to get to the desired result  :)

Personally I see OS as having been released with the basics and having additional features inserted as they're prioritised / developed / tested and ready.  Much of the focus has gone to big new functionality, sheetmetal, configurations, release management etc, but we've also seen the introduction different curve types to the tool-set.

I like the idea of a 3 point rectangle so I'm happy to put in an IR for it.

Link to Improvement Request

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd