Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate connectors (again)

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
When assigning a mate connector in a part studio, does it maintain it's position and association to the part when the part is inserted into an assembly?

In the document below, I can see a couple of mate connectors floating in empty space, seemingly not connector to any entity in the assembly. I started to think that perhaps mate connectors in a part studio are meant to be used there (e.g. in a boolean operation or positioning) and new mate connectors should be used in an assembly. If so, to avoid confusion among mate connectors, I thought it might be better to delete a mate connector in the part studio when it is no longer needed (i.e. after a boolean is successfully performed). I tried this but when I deleted mate connector 2 in part studio PIR(1), the part 'case' was also deleted. Is this a result of my methods (feature tree) to attain an end result or my misunderstanding of mate connectors in general?

In this document it seems to me it would be ideal for the mate connectors created in the part studio to maintain there placement relative and association to the owner part in the part studio and use the same mate connectors in the assembly. As a new student and hobbyist in Onshape I may not be realizing that in some cases it may not be ideal.

I would appreciate any instruction.

Also, when I look at the number of steps in the above mentioned part studio, they seem too numerous. Is that more or less normal or  the sign of a new user?

Thanks - Scotty

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a7c3d5925f8aa9147b2eceb/w/004c5fbf4a428ee92d10eaa3/e/8c798a982ac639c83fcfb28d

Best Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, Gentlemen, for the explanations and instruction on how to avoid the problem. Thank you also for the advice. Good advice that I will use to guide me in future documents as well as this document posted (which I believe I will begin anew). - Scotty

Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, Gentlemen, for the explanations and instruction on how to avoid the problem. Thank you also for the advice. Good advice that I will use to guide me in future documents as well as this document posted (which I believe I will begin anew). - Scotty