Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate connector - contact mate ?

jerome_goyetjerome_goyet Member Posts: 11
Hello, 
I have a simple question regarding mate connector : How would you simply proceed to create a contact type mate connector ? In other words I just want to have a cylinder that slides in a blind bore and stops in this blind bore when the bottom surface of the cylinder is in contact with the bottom of the bore.
Thank you for your support and help.

Jérôme

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jérôme
    The mate connector is always the same type. It does not change for different mate types; only the orientation changes depending on how you want things to line up on assembly.
    You need to add a mate connector to the mating face in each part, and make sure you rotate it so the primary axis (blue) lines up with the axis of the hole

Then you can add a mate in the assembly.  Go to the "Assembly Mates" tutorial on this page
    https://www.onshape.com/tutorials to find out how to do that. 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    @jerome_goyet  I think you are looking for mate limits to stop movement when part contacts with another part. It is not available yet, there has been conversation though: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/378/mate-limits/

//rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2015
    I'd use the slider mate or cylindrical mate with the mate connectors as described by @Andrew_Troup. You can also add mate connectors to parts in the part studio I find this easier, if you do this make sure you select the owner part to get the mate connector to follow the part into the assembly.

@3dcad is right you can not do limit mates yet. But you can do a RMB "reset" which takes the mate back to it's default position, a very nice feature. You also change mate types at any time to lock stuff up.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    jerome_goyetjerome_goyet Member Posts: 11
    Thanks 3dCAD and Bruce, I got the answer to my question (my request was not probably crystal clear), I was taking about 'limits mates' (my used terms :  contact mates).

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Limit mates are the nearer and simpler solution. I regret that as of this moment I cannot say when. 
    Thank you for accepting this answer nearly a year after i posted it! :)
    And of course, we now have BOTH limit mates AND 'tangent' (contact) mates :)
    #OnshapeRules :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape