Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 24th, 2018

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited May 2018 in New in Onshape
This update is a very exciting one. We have been working for sometime now on a new version of Onshape that gives companies tremendous insight into their design process. Our CEO Jon Hirschtick announced this new product, Onshape Enterprise, yesterday, and in this update we'll take a tour of some of its functionality. However, this update isn't just about the new Onshape Enterprise features. As always, we've added many new core CAD features that have been highly requested. Let's jump in.

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

PROJECTS AND ROLE-BASED ACCESS CONTROL
Projects and Role-Based Access Control are two defining features of Onshape Enterprise. These new features make it easy for administrators to have consistent project structure, and easily add the right roles for each project.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0gx3c4mop6

ANALYTICS AND REPORTING
The Analytics and Reporting available in Onshape Enterprise give company owners or admins unprecedented visibility into the productivity of their engineering teams.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/z42h7ft2tl

ACTIVITY
The Activity page in Onshape Enterprise, makes it easy to see the latest progress in the company. It can be filtered by project, user, or Document to get even more detail.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/nfolxldcdb

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements to core CAD functionality, available to all users.

PARTING LINE DRAFT
You can now define draft by a parting line. In the past, the draft command was limited to planar draft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/xeapyub26i

MATE CONNECTOR IMPROVEMENTS
The center of slots or empty regions now show as mate connection points. This is especially important for those that need to mate to the center of slots or similar shapes.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bfy75debdq

ALIGN DRAWING VIEWS
You can now align drawing views either horizontally or vertically with a selected edge of the model. This can be helpful if the part was modeled in an odd orientation and the view needs to be rotated in the drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/418popkcoe

MULTI-LEVEL BOMS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS
You can now insert Structured Multi-Level bills of material into Onshape Drawings. In the Insert BOM command, under BOM type, you will see the option for "Structured Multi-Level." Callouts referencing a part in a subassembly will use properties of the part (if you are using properties in your callouts.)

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/yspkhy4oqs

CENTERLINE IMPROVEMENTS
Centerlines will now snap to other annotations in Onshape Drawings. This can be useful if your drawing has many centerlines that need to meet together.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3p21r1mfng

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the Onshape Changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome, Thankyou. Nice way to start the day over here. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work.
    Love the parting line draft feature

PD: Small companies also make projects  ;)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Nice updates, especially the mate connector improvement.  Wish I could try the enterprise features...
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changelog comment:
    • Fixed keyboard shortcuts and dialog focus (select other)
    Select other continues working with the key ñ on the keyboard in Spanish
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Enterprise looks pretty cool, nice job.

Thanks for the parting line improvement, time to crank out some plastic parts!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Love the mate point upgrade, nice work folks, thanks for that.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • table38table38 Member Posts: 14 EDU
    but who cares about functionality when usability is non existent? (severe performance issues)
    It works fine here in Spain  :/
    There are no issues in the status https://status.onshape.com/ and nothin in the history https://status.onshape.com/history
    Un saludo,

pager48 said:
    but who cares about functionality when usability is non existent? (severe performance issues)
    I have had zero outages for at least a year.  Where are you geographically?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited May 2018
    Wow, looks like you've done more to the Mate Connector generation code than add face mid points, it seems far snapper and more responsive than before.  Definitely upgrade of the month for me.

:+1: 
    O.S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Wow, looks like you've done more to the Mate Connector generation code than add face mid points, it seems far snapper and responsive than before.  Definitely upgrade of the month for me.

O.S.
    I have to agree, this is a great improvement followed closely by the aligned drawing view which will also save time and confusion, Thank you! 

Owen, it might be different if we were mold designers. 
    edited May 2018

Owen, it might be different if we were mold designers. 
    "Real" engineers make things out of metal o:)

I'm pretty sure the plastic pilots in my company delight in designing things (that I have to make jigs and processes for) that have zero right angles and sod all parallel faces.  Hence I hope they all burn in hell. 

Just joking (mostly).

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited May 2018
    @pager48
     I'm sorry you are having bad experience using Onshape. When you experience bad performance please file an issue via "?"->"Feedback" tool describing your experience in as much detail as you can and sharing the document where you experience the bad performance with support. This would allow us to figure out  what is causing the issues.
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you Onshape team!
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    I think @lana meant to mention @pager48. As you can see from the other comments here, your experience is not (at all) typical.

Your location, latency, bandwidth and fps metrics look good. I see you are using Chrome on Linux. You may be having some graphics driver issues or may have poor WebGL support. As Lana said, please open a support ticket and we can try to improve your experience.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Align view is a great enhancement 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Very nice updates!

I could kiss you for center of slot mate :)
    In fact I might.. you better lookout!

It's like you read my mind with the centerline snaps, and view orientation!
    no more 6 place angle measurements before placing views!!! woot!

Everything is awesome, wish I could use the enterprise stuff for our company, looks like you put some hard work into that :)
    maybe one day when it's more than just me in onshape at work ;p
    owen_sparks said:

"Real" engineers make things out of metal o:) 

Just joking (mostly).

Owen S.
    Naw, that's about right :)
    I think @lana meant to mention @pager48. As you can see from the other comments here, your experience is not (at all) typical.

Your location, latency, bandwidth and fps metrics look good. I see you are using Chrome on Linux. You may be having some graphics driver issues or may have poor WebGL support. As Lana said, please open a support ticket and we can try to improve your experience.
    @pager48 for real, they have helped me many times when I was having performance issues. Above and beyond support at onshape, best in the business without question PERIOD

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    RE: Align Drawing Views

While an improvement over the prior method, that required determining and entering the amount of angular rotation to create the desired orientation of a primary view for a part modeled out of plane with respect to the global coordinate system (GCS), it does not address the problem of being limited to creating a primary drawing view that is based on (tied to) the GCS.

Furthermore, it does not address the problem of a simple orientation change of the part (with no features changes to the part) within the Part Studio invalidating the drawing of the part.

I found a method to work around the limitation but it requires creation of another Part Studio, using the derived feature in combination with Mate Connectors and a Transform feature. Shouldn't have to resort to doing this.  

Un saludo,

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Everything is awesome, wish I could use the enterprise stuff for our company, looks like you put some hard work into that :)
    maybe one day when it's more than just me in onshape at work ;p
    Be careful what you wish for, then your boss would actually know what you're doing during paid hours  :D I'm not sure if they had 'gathering general data from onshape forums' as a task in analytics =)

Seems great update, can't wait to get another project to try the new features out!
    //rami

PD: Small companies also make projects  ;)
    Oh, do they really? Hey wait, it seems like yes! we do have projects - in fact that's pretty much all we have. 

But what was the big difference, just adding roles & people or also something related to storing project data?
    //rami
    3dcad said:

But what was the big difference, just adding roles & people or also something related to storing project data?
    Well what's the different? 

First, I understand that for big companies Onshape offers a series of usability tools, analitycs, graphs, reports, etc. and that Onshape integrates them into a tool like Onshape Enterprise.

Small companies do not really need project roles ... Why? because generally the CEO is also the designer, or the entire purchasing department, etc. There are too many shared roles and very few Onshape users in small companies.

But almost all medium-sized companies that I know manage projects. And, yes ... they need roles in their projects.
    It is true that they can use teams and share folders. But the project roles would facilitate the work a lot.
    Also, if these project roles are linked to the Onshape revision management flows.

On the other hand, the option of guest user I think would be highly appreciated for companies that have Onshape Professional.

Un saludo,

3dcad said:
    Be careful what you wish for, then your boss would actually know what you're doing during paid hours  :D I'm not sure if they had 'gathering general data from onshape forums' as a task in analytics =)

I think generally in my past design projects, getting jobs out took far more CAD hrs than the boss knew about, early morning late afternoons, this really just gives transparency. I hope analytics also includes downtime through, lack of internet, slow internet, browser cache filling up,  waiting for Onshape to process, etc.

I know I'd love to have dashboard telling me why I am not getting optimum speed from Onshape, I seem to be regularly checking my internet speed, refreshing my browser,  because things feel slow, a dashboard showing all performance metrics would be perfect to help diagnose a problem fix it and get speed from Onshape.
    edited May 2018
    Yep, performance dashboard would be nice though I rarely have problems with performance. But I would love to look at project analytics how much MY time I have spent and what I have been doing. Bouncing between several projects and running the company at the same time it's very difficult to accurately say how much cad time it took to plan/make something. I think small company (1 to few users) analytics would also help companies to decide when it's time to add another employee with pro license..
    //rami
    Hi folks.

Just saw that the IR "Load "Insert New Element" code before rebuilding PartStudio or assembly." has been closed and that it's been implemented. 

I hadn't noticed it was done o:) so thanks to whichever folks made it happen :)

Cheers,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    //rami