Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I create a new Document from a Part Studio.

william_4william_4 Member Posts: 11
I created a Part Studio in a Document and I want to use it in other Documents or share just that Part Studio with the Public but not my entire Document.

Best Answers

Answers

• william_4william_4 Member Posts: 11
    No, I tried that but when I open another document I can't find a way to paste it from the clipboard.
    Okay! I finally figured it out. If you select the '+' at the bottom of the new document and select the 'Paste Tab' it will create a new Part Studio with the one you copied to clipboard. Thanks, I was trying to us cntrl V all the time. I guess the Paste Tab won't show up there if you don't have something in the clipboard. :)
    My intent was to start a Document which would contain frequently used parts, things like screws, washers, nuts, etc. When I downloaded a split lock washer from McMaster-Carr I wasn't able to get and axis mate connector because of the way it was made and translated into my document.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    moEngineering are you in Australia? I was just looking at your ajax handbook and noticed it was out of Australia. It's a good reference handbook.

Thanks for the bolt reference book,

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
     @BruceBartlett  Thanks very much for the fasteners document. I was surprised and delighted to find it metric :-)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I am the Australian @billy . Yes it is a good book been using that for years and is a common referance for us Aussie Engineers

@andrew_troup  Metric is the only way to go. However I still have to use imperial bolts every now then.  

If people are using the fastsners I doc might have to do some more work to improve it.

Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • moengineeringmoengineering Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2015
    billy said:
    moEngineering are you in Australia? I was just looking at your ajax handbook and noticed it was out of Australia. It's a good reference handbook.

Thanks for the bolt reference book,

Hello @billy,

as @BruceBartlett says, he is the Austrailian and  the boltz and nutz document is from him. I just linked them. By the way: I am the Austrian. There are also cows but no kangaroos :smirk:
    But there are things in common: I also work metric and I am thrilled with onshape too.

best regards
    martin
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    ... Metric is the only way to go....moEngineering said: I also work metric ....

@AndrewTroup said: Hush! or we'll have the "customary units" not-so-secret police kicking down our doors!
    @Andrew_Troup :hushed:  :#

@BruceBartlett is there a special reason why you made all nutz and bolts at the same position in the parts studio?

best regards
    martin
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @moEngineering  good point, maybe it would be better to spread them out so the not on top of each other. Then you could have then all shown. 

Originally I wanted the 0,0,0 point too be under the head, but with the mate connector system this proberly doesn't mater. Still a work in progress.

Bruce
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @BruceBartlett thanks for your answer.

BruceBartlett said:
    Originally I wanted the 0,0,0 point too be under the head, but with the mate connector system this proberly doesn't mater. Still a work in progress.

Thats the way I also would have done it before OnShape. Because in all other systems you should take care of that. Here it doesn't matter. Thats pretty cool :)

best regards
    martin