Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Setting equal curve lengths

Hello. I'd like to set the curve length of an arc equal to a straight line in a sketch, but can't seem to do it with the equality constraint. Is there a simple way to apply this relationship so that it updates automatically as one of the curves is modified? Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @philip_thomas

Effective but esoteric.  Is that why you have the 'visit Onshape' tab so we can get an explanation?  :wink:
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Lol - fair enough! :)
    The challenge is that 'length' and 'arc length' are two different things. 
    If i said, make this line and this arc 'equal' - what am i setting to be equal? The length? The Radius?
    This solution uses a custom feature that allows me to measure something and assign the measured value to a variable. Once a variable exists, i can use it in any other sketch or feature (but not the same one).
    By sharing the document, the user now has access to the custom feature :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Excellent - glad you splained.  Passing on the Custom Feature is good and I had not even thought of the ambiguity.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    JaimeeowJaimeeow Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    how did you make the custom feature from scratch? i'm so confused. there's two part studios? and the second part studio is just referencing the first part studio??? :dizzy:

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    edited February 2023
    This is an old thread. You can create a variable on the fly in a sketch and use it to dimension both the linear and arc lengths. You can start typing '#' for a dimension and you can create a new variable. Once you do that, enter that as the dimension for the other entity. Here's a very simple part studio with the sketch.

Note: you still can't dimension the length of a spline, conic or path in sketcher, just individual arcs and lines. See this improvement ticket.