Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding Sketch to Side of extrude not working

doug_probstdoug_probst Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I tried searching but not sure what to search for.  I also tried asking this question but not sure where I was when I did it and can't find the first so if double post please forgive me.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/39590e72cfb7d5acd549ec17/w/5963e6f58d74e714ad9ab544/e/801e7e30dfce9abb0889ace9
I want to put a third hole in the top of the U so can can screw the clamp to the pipe it is strapped over.  I assume I need to add a plane or something as it will not let me put a point there for a hole to be extruded
Thanks
Doug

Best Answer

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Doug and welcome.

OK, a couple of ways you can do this.

As you saw we can only put a sketch on a flat surface, so on a plane or a part but it has to be flat.

So we could:-

(a) Add a new plane.  An offset plane would do.  You could offset from the flat part of the clamp or the original front plane.

(b) The hole feature is clever, it doesn't need the sketch to touch the part, so you can put the hole point on your existing "sketch 2" and it'll work just fine.

A little constructive criticism:-

(i) Your hole points are blue, meaning they're unconstrained.  They're placed "somewhere around here".  I'd recommend adding constraints or dimensions until all turns black in the sketch.

(ii) Get into the habit of naming your features.  As things get more complicated having "Sketch56" as the name doesn't help describe what it's for.

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Doug and welcome.

OK, a couple of ways you can do this.

As you saw we can only put a sketch on a flat surface, so on a plane or a part but it has to be flat.

So we could:-

(a) Add a new plane.  An offset plane would do.  You could offset from the flat part of the clamp or the original front plane.

(b) The hole feature is clever, it doesn't need the sketch to touch the part, so you can put the hole point on your existing "sketch 2" and it'll work just fine.

A little constructive criticism:-

(i) Your hole points are blue, meaning they're unconstrained.  They're placed "somewhere around here".  I'd recommend adding constraints or dimensions until all turns black in the sketch.

(ii) Get into the habit of naming your features.  As things get more complicated having "Sketch56" as the name doesn't help describe what it's for.

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd