Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to constrain group in drawing

jonesjones Member Posts: 5
Hi there,
I'm still pretty new to onshape.

I have drawn a certain shape,which I want to copy and and move to another point. To move it as a whole without being distorted I need to constrain every single distance with the measure tool, otherwise I get a distort.

Is there a way to group sketch parts to move them alltogether without changing any distance within that group?
I see that there is the fix option, but this will fix it on its position as well...

Also sometimes the corners would not stick together, If I move one edge it won't stay connected, how can I connect the dots again?
Thanks a lot in advance.

J

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018
    Yes  :)

Have a look at the sketch transform tool help page, it'll allow you to move / rotate a block of sketch entities on one go. It'll also allow you to snap them together, it's really nicely implemented.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jonesjones Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2018
    Oh I see, I did not get the thing that I can move the ball point to the corner I want to snap to. Thanks, I got it now.

Cheers

• steve_cohensteve_cohen Member Posts: 27 EDU
    If I understand correctly, this lets you move the sketch, but not copy it.  I am looking for a functionality like blocks in SolidWorks.  Specifically, I have an object I want to show in several orientations simultaneously in the sketch.  When I modify the master, the slave follows.  I can do this by making the object out of line segments and setting the slave lengths equal to the master, but that is tedious and does not allow for coincidences in the middle of the line.