Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Scrambled graphics in parts studio old laptop running lubuntu/firefox

tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I've got an older laptop, Dell Inspiron 9300 with Radeon 300 graphics and lubuntu 18.04 & Firefox.  It runs great but shows scrambled graphics in the parts studio tab when I open a project.  I'm not very Linux literate... Hoping I can get this (old) machine to work, any suggestions?

Answers

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    What do you get when visiting https://cad.onshape.com/check

Are you using a proprietary graphics card driver? If not, I would try switching to a proprietary driver and see if the problem persists.

• Options
    tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    results of the check- tps 2.2m, mlps .4m, gpu active yes.
    Lubuntu installed the driver for ati graphics card: ver 2.1 mesa 18.0.0-rc5  from x.org r300 project-ati rv370, showing as the webgli driver renderer. I guess because from what I can tell ATI does not have a driver available for that card for linux.  The machine is dual boot with windows XP and Onshape will run ( slowly) in XP.  Its only a 128mb video card.  Was hoping I could use this mostly for viewing, not modifying models in linux maybe with the addition of a small SSD and the 256mb Nvidia video card that was an option when new and plentiful on ebay.  Will a SSD improve Onshape performance? (I don't see the machine hitting the hard disc at all when manipulating the model in XP so I would think not).  This is more of an exercise to see how well I can get Onshape to work with old hardware and Linux, I use XP for Mach3 CAM and may use some Linux CAM so it would be nice to have it all on one machine...
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited July 2018
    @tom_jelly

Could you post a screenshot of what you mean by "scrambled graphics"? What browser are you using?

Your triangle counts are pretty low.  On my computer I am getting 120m triangles per second, 76m lines per second.  Here is a thread of people discussing the different performance benchmarks on their computers:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5225/performance-test-results/p1

Onshape uses the processor (CPU), the memory (RAM), and the graphics card (GPU) on your computer, so storage (disc space) does not really affect performance directly.  Your Operating system may reserve some space on your disc as "swap space" for when you run out of RAM, so a SSD may make swapping faster if your computer has a small amount of memory, but the performance gain would probably be negligible.  I would stick to upgrading the GPU (and maybe also RAM) of the system to improve performance.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team