Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Bending Radius

hobie_smithhobie_smith Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Hello,
how do you design sheet metal parts?
Do you choose the radius of the punch or do you go to the internal bending radius of the die from the press force table?

Our standard stamps have a radius of 0.6mm.

Greetings Hobie

Translated with Google

Answers

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are manufacturing the parts and have the machinery, I would cut samples of the material type, and thickness you will use. Make 90 degree bends with the punch/die combination you will use. From these samples you will get real world bend radius and data to calculate bend allowance, k factor, etc. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different material types will have the bend radius created by their characteristics. For example 5052 is soft and the radius of the punch will be the major factor in the bend radius. Steel and stainless steel bend radius can be altered by the opening of the V on the die. Larger V will create bigger radius. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• hobie_smithhobie_smith Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks first of all.

Our programmers take in Solid Edge e.g. a bending radius of 0.5mm, unless it is bent with a radius stamp.

Bend Cam then recalculates the part and takes the minimum bending radii.

e.g. for the die V12, 2mm.

When I measure with the theory of radii, the radius can not be clearly determined. Since the radius is not round by the narrow tool but rather a notch in the material.

I have to say that we bend very tight.

1 mm in the V6
    1.5mm in the V8
    2 mm in V10 to V12 ...

What kind of radius do you take for 2mm?
    In what kind of a die do you bend 2mm?

I can adjust the K Factor depending on the set radius.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I usually divide the thickness by 3 to get the bend radius.

I suppose it depends on how precise you really need to be. T/3 has worked for us without a problem for years.
    We deal with 18ga - 1/4" P&O / Stainless Steel
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    If you want to input bend allowance or deduction onto the sheet metal model, you can use my feature here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a39db7615a2a945ffb7076c3
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    If you want to input bend allowance or deduction onto the sheet metal model, you can use my feature here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a39db7615a2a945ffb7076c3
    Have you added in an option for bend rad from a ratio of thickness?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977