Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What's wrong with my pack and go zip file?

Just learning Onshape and this is likely an operator error, but help would be appreciated. I'm attempting to upload some Solidworks assemblies. As per the dialogue box, I did a pack and go from SW to a zip file. When Uploading the file I get the error message, "Zip translation not supported batt.zip was not translated. The zip did not contain any recognizable files." I've tried this with a couple of different files. Also tried uploading the assembly doc directly, including the parts and assembly files. The parts uploaded, but the assembly doc was not. The error message indicated that the file was untranslatable. One of the the offending files is attached in zip format.  
batt.zip 409.4K

Best Answer

• daniel_stevenson897daniel_stevenson897 Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Hum, I'm using the zip option from SW pack and go dialog box. The only option used there is "flatten to a single folder". I'm not using a separate zip utility after pack and go. I'd assumed that SW uses it's own zip implementation, not another application. What zip utility did you use? The image from your link is an accurate conversion of the original SW files. 

Answers

• abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @daniel_stevenson897 - you're on the right track with the Pack&Go structure, the only issue is the name of the .zip file needs to match the name of the top level assembly. That's how we know which assembly to translate from. Let us know if that works for you.

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
    Well, that's an easy fix to undertake. I renamed the zip files to match the top level assembly as you indicated. Still no love. Here are a couple of files. Same error message as before. These are SW 2016 files if that matters. 
    edited July 2018
    What utility are you using to make the .zip files? I just tested those files directly and they failed, but when I unzipped them and then rezipped them with no changes on my computer they all worked as expected. Are you forcing any compression as part of the zipping process?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d5e0d486d6261e1b41ee8ad/w/d101638aa9976224a5453fea/e/a274184de11b3f4afbdba57e
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
    Answer ✓
    Hum, I'm using the zip option from SW pack and go dialog box. The only option used there is "flatten to a single folder". I'm not using a separate zip utility after pack and go. I'd assumed that SW uses it's own zip implementation, not another application. What zip utility did you use? The image from your link is an accurate conversion of the original SW files. 
    I just used the default MacOS zip utility. What happens if you unzip the file on your machine, and then re-zip it using the default Windows utility rather than the SolidWorks one?
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support