Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating inside or outside dimensions

christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
I have a 3D model that includes two moderately complex wire shapes created by sweeping the round wire profile along the wire paths.  I need give the wire forming supplier drawings that provide  "inside to inside" or "outside to outside" dimensions. 

I created OnShape drawings from the wire parts but I can't get it to define this type of dimension.  It insists on giving dimensions that are centerline to centerline which is not what wire formers expect to receive.

How can I dimension to the inside or outside profile of the wire, not the centerlines?  I see there is a mention in the documentation about creating a section views to dimension to but this in my case this would create a very awkward drawing with a lot of section views because the path of the wire for a given part lies in multiple planes.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @christopher_graham586

On that center to center dimension, you can drag the grip points of the extension lines onto the perimeter of the circles and we'll create the min/max dimension that you need.  We have an improvement coming for a min/max dimension type in the dropdown of the dimension tools.