Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to define an offset between a cylindrical surface and a flat surface

XXXXXXXXXX Member Posts: 3
I'd like to assemble a cylindrical part so that it is centered between two flat surfaces, not sure which mating tool I should use.

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Can you take a screenshot or share a doc or upload a hand drawing?
    Not really sure  - does the cylinder touch both plates? Are the plates parallel? Is the distance between the plates equal to or greater than the cylinder diameter? Does the diameter determine the distance between the plates? If parallel and further apart than the diameter, is the cylinder centered or resting on on of the plates?
    Help us help you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • XXXXXXXXXX Member Posts: 3
    See attached screenshot. I'd like to place the highlighted cylinders right at the middle of the space between the two blocks. The blocks are in parallel. I know how to define the distance between two parallel plane, but don't know how to define it between a cylindrical surface and a flat surface.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Mr XXX - thank you, that helps.

Yes, you have a perfect storm here - no easy way.

A number of solutions are probably workable.
    1) Import a sketch into the assembly - mate the blocks to each side of an entity in the sketch and the cylinder to a mate connector at the mid-point of an entity.
    2) If the distance between the blocks is known, then in the part studio defining the block, create a mate connector that is offset by half the distance between the blocks. Then in the assembly, just mate the two mate connectors together to position the blocks and then use the same mate connectors to the position the cylinders.
    3) position the blocks offset from mate connectors generated on the cylinders.

3 Is my favorite (but they would all work) - here is an example.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/08b545acfdaf072292119fc4/w/e4666214273adb79c0abccaa/e/1442a5cd641673753a3c6944

Please feel free to create/vote for an Enhancement Request that is a 'mid point' mate.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • XXXXXXXXXX Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, 3 works very well!
  • VladRumVladRum Member Posts: 2
    I find another way to do it.
    1. Create a point on the circle in the sketch you are using for extrude or create a new sketch with a circle and point.

2. Then create a plane using the Plane Point method with that point and parallel plane.
    3. Create the sketch on this plane and define any point on it (center one in my case)
    4. Create a mate on this point.
    5. Profit!