Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Select features in feature tree, in commands

fredrik_1fredrik_1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Product Feedback
Hi

When i started using Onshape, I often tried to select things in the feature tree instead of in the viewport, while inside a command/dialog. I got disapointed to find i have to select every single item in the viewport,  although it was already nicely organised in the tree.

Feature tree selection would not fit for every type of feature, but would feel natural for some things like arrays, patterns. -perhaps also fillets and chamfers, in order to change/remove them. It would be a time saver.
Also, i think pre-selection of inputs in viewport and fearure tree would be nice. By this i mean that if you already know the inputs needed, those can be selected before clicking on the move face icon.

Best regards
Fredrik

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @fredrik_1
    You can preselect most items in the graphics area before you do your feature
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • fredrik_1fredrik_1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Ok thanks, I need to check that again on monday  :)
    edited September 2018
    Yes you are right, dont know where i got the pre selection thing from. Perhaps it was from earlier versions..

Anyways, more usage of the tree for selections would be a good thing 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @fredrik_1

For things like Part Pattern, Transform, or Delete Part features which take Parts as input, you can make selections in the Parts list rather than the graphics area.  It would be nice to have the feature list more usable for selections though, thanks for the input.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    edited October 2018
    Thank you Jake. Especially the in the extrude command, imagine if you write some text and want to emboss it, -we have to select every single letter in extrude. In the parts list you will struggle to recognize the letters, and there can be a lot of clicking around and swearing. You are developing a great product, just picking on details :)
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    For a selection field which allows faces (like in extrude), you can click on a sketch in the feature tree to e.g. extrude the whole sketch text (excluding the holes in the middle). This is what's automatically filled in when you press shift-E from a sketch.

This is a special case for exactly the workflow you describe, but you could definitely imagine this working in more cases. The tricky thing is that people might expect clicking a feature to include/exclude different entities in different contexts. Is there a case of particular interest that you'd like to work? Please feel free to submit an improvement request!
    Yes, bad example by me with the texts. I've used that method you mention here several times :s

The feature tree could, and should, be involved more in the modeling. That's because it is already organized, and speeding up modeling is always good. The part list also could benefit from ability of grouping and arranging parts.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @fredrik_1

For things like Part Pattern, Transform, or Delete Part features which take Parts as input, you can make selections in the Parts list rather than the graphics area.  It would be nice to have the feature list more usable for selections though, thanks for the input.
    I would be awesome if a tool like pattern that works with either parts or features would switch automatically to the correct setting if features are selected instead of parts (or vice versa). I have stated multiple times that I rarely use part patterns, but often use feature patterns. Having to click and select feature pattern every time is tiresome, especially since I can select features from the list for some other tools.