Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Moving Parts & Sketch Entities

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
Good Day All

After being able to complete the bracket with post as shown; one would think copying and/or moving to another location would be easier.  However, I am certainly missing something as I cannot make it happen.  Please see the snip, I like to move the parts to the left at the point along the construction line, thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @robert_melascaglia

You can use Pattern (Linear Pattern in this case, but there are also Circular pattern, Curve Pattern, and Mirror features) if you want to copy the part to an additional location, or Transform if you would like to move it.

Is this a sheet metal part?  If so, Transform is not yet supported, but Pattern is.

The only way you will be able to pattern sketches is by using the "Feature Pattern" option of the Linear pattern.

There are some more general recommendations though:
    • If you are just trying to move these bodies though (not make additional copies), why not go back and edit the defining sketches of the strut so that they are initially designed in the correct location?
    • If the patterning of these bodies is the final step of the design, you could just stick with creating the one strut, and doing the replication in the assembly. This will have the additional benefits of better Part Studio and Assembly performance, and a correct BOM for your assembly (with identical parts as instances, rather than unique-but-identical parts with different part numbers).
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Actually I like to begin at the right-location; then create two more identical parts left and right for a total of three.  Appreciate the quick response and great feedback.
  • robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Thanks Jake, went back to the sketch and revised its spatial coordinates; all is positioned nicely, now just have to replicate two more - left and right.