Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Offset for manual router templates

daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Community Support
I'm building a bench wooden bench for my young niece for Christmas.  I don't have access a CNC so I'm planning on 3d printing templates and using a combination of flush trim router bits and guide bushings with standard router bits to cut out the parts.   Last night I cut a few test pieces and I had a lot of difficulty with using the flush trim bits to do the final cuts, likely because I was forced to cut the entire 3/4" depth of the piece at once.  I did my roughing cuts using guide bushings and everything went smoothly, so I'm hoping to re-print the jigs to eliminate the flush trim bit.  

In the attached model, I'm running in to trouble offsetting the outline of the text to create the correctly sized jig.  I've tried using both the sketch offset tool, the move face tool and the offset surface tool, but they either fail or it takes an incredibly long time to find a process that works for each part.  The problem likely stems from the font that I've imported via the dxf file, but I'd prefer to find a solution that doesn't involved manually sketching all of the text.  

Who's got ideas?  

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9d327086a2b2f1b17ed3489e/w/b8837c370037e255fe865427/e/25dd386b5f27363def767265

This link shows how the guide bushing works. 
http://dimar-canada.com/products.php?m=56&idp=98

Best Answer

Answers

• daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The thicken command worked perfectly, at least in the model.  Thanks Kevin
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice work! :)

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I've got a similar problem. I imported a CAD model from Grab-Cad and then created some geometry to interface with it. I then performed a boolean operation to create perfect mating parts. I'm going to print the mating part with a 3D printer so I wanted to add a very small offset. If I add the offset to the boolean operation it fails. So then I tried using the thicken tool. This seems to work, except it leaves several really small lips of material around the edges. I also tried creating offset surfaces and then using the replace face option but that had similar problems. Not sure what to try next. Here is a link to my model. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e862dc61083856716a3b568/w/9518ac2e5bf0597d55ad12a6/e/05def64b3ee0bd111485c700
    I've suppressed the last two features which are examples of my efforts to remove 0.015" of material. The boolean operation is near the top of the model tree.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @rex_hanson
    You can use delete face on the small lips that you want to remove
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @rex_hanson
    Move face here works 
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thank you!