Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Oshape is too slow, any idea for improvements?

2»

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I agree with @john_mcclary about version that are created for Onshape not for user. I try to think what parts/assemblies I might later on need in other projects and have them on separate docs so versions would be actual version and not just for being able to reference the part in other doc.

If I had some giant project I would start with 'main' doc and while it grows too much then move completed 'modules' into new docs.
    //rami
  • Options
    black_kydexblack_kydex Member Posts: 8
    Look, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I've got a free account and I am able to create projects from which I make a profit. It's more than what I had before discovering the joys of CAD. But lately it's been nearly impossible to make headway on any projects due to load times, which I have taken care to verify are uniquely isolated to OnShape. I can game, watch YouTube, use other CAD software, etc etc, with zero issues. Yet when I try to make a simple edit to a very basic model, I'm waiting 15-30 minutes just for the pinwheel of death to go away so I can even begin to attempt the edit.

Surely the team at OnShape could come up with the $ to fund a better server so these issues go away, or at least drastically improve. Being a solutions guy, I don't complain without also offering some unsolicited advice. So here it is. I would GLADLY pay a small subscription fee each month that OnShape could put toward upgrading the server. I'm sure most of the other free account users would as well. It wouldn't take much money to improve the situation. There's plenty I don't know, such as how many free users there are or what the exact dollar amount is to upgrade the server, but let's be real... $10/month from a fraction of the freeloaders would probably cover it. Hell, you don't even need to get rid of the free option... start a subscription plan that is just designated toward a better server. Set it up with automatic monthly payments like any other subscription. Charge $10/month. I can all but guarantee OnShape users would contribute in overwhelming numbers and you'd have a well-funded, functioning server. Perhaps I'm wrong, but as the site grows in numbers, the usability of it decreases, and it stands to reason that something must be done. Anyone else with me?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Look, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I've got a free account and I am able to create projects from which I make a profit. It's more than what I had before discovering the joys of CAD. But lately it's been nearly impossible to make headway on any projects due to load times, which I have taken care to verify are uniquely isolated to OnShape. I can game, watch YouTube, use other CAD software, etc etc, with zero issues. Yet when I try to make a simple edit to a very basic model, I'm waiting 15-30 minutes just for the pinwheel of death to go away so I can even begin to attempt the edit.

Surely the team at OnShape could come up with the $ to fund a better server so these issues go away, or at least drastically improve. Being a solutions guy, I don't complain without also offering some unsolicited advice. So here it is. I would GLADLY pay a small subscription fee each month that OnShape could put toward upgrading the server. I'm sure most of the other free account users would as well. It wouldn't take much money to improve the situation. There's plenty I don't know, such as how many free users there are or what the exact dollar amount is to upgrade the server, but let's be real... $10/month from a fraction of the freeloaders would probably cover it. Hell, you don't even need to get rid of the free option... start a subscription plan that is just designated toward a better server. Set it up with automatic monthly payments like any other subscription. Charge $10/month. I can all but guarantee OnShape users would contribute in overwhelming numbers and you'd have a well-funded, functioning server. Perhaps I'm wrong, but as the site grows in numbers, the usability of it decreases, and it stands to reason that something must be done. Anyone else with me?
    See https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/19259/lets-solve-the-speed-issue
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI